DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seems our cars are on the top of several lists published by Edmunds.com and LeaseCompare.com, to name a few. Check out the article at:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Savinganddebt/Saveonacar/P71881.asp
That article pretty much says good luck when buying one and don't plan on selling it, for more than a few hundred dollars. Haven't gotten the chance to to check out what cars.com has to say yet, since the article doesn't really say. So I thought I'd pass the info on and see what everyone else thinks.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Yeah its because one its american and two it was a big rental car so the market is flooded with the ****ers.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
That is why I keep my cars for about 15 years. My 300M will be better looking then most other cars on the road in another 10 years from now.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Holy Jesus 300Michael!!!!!! I thought I was wired for sound but you definately take the cake! What is up with your dash? How did you hook everything up? Isn't your alpine stereo already a 7 inch screen?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
There is a bit of a trend there and even armed with that information I still will not be able to afford a BMW Z8 or a Porsche 911.
Another reason for the higher resale on those high end toys are few of them ever see regular daily driving.
Imagine the AutoTrader ad.
1997 Dodge Viper GTS. 280,000miles, needs little to safety, comes with snow tires, minor parking lot scratches, parked outside most of the time, 3rd owner, great car for students and competitive insurance rates. A steal at 52% of it original price $38,000.

Cars are often more than just $$$. If it's that important to you the cheapest transportation is a used domestic car. It's mostly finished depreciating and can be insured and repair for alot less cash.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Edmunds, Kelley Blue Book and NADA figure these values on "average" values based on used sales, trade ins, dealer auctions,then the compile the data for each model and year. they alter the value based on mileage, options and condition,and sometimes based on region. cars at the bottom of the list tend to be lower priced, higher volume cars that get "used" (daily commuters, grocery go-getters, junior's first car, etc..) so when it's time to sell or trade , they have their share of bruises, bumps, cigarrette burns ,and so on. the cars on the top of the list are usually exotic, low production cars that are "babied" (not driven in snow , left in parking lots, smoked in , etc) most people that can afford one of these has a second car, or a company car that does all the dirty work. so it really does not say much to compare residual value in a Porsche 911 and a Neon or an Intrepid, it's liks comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, took a few days but the serious people finally woke up. Hmmm, maybe it just took some time to research it. Chill out people, I was just posting information I found amusing. A stupid article I read.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts