DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, and I just got my Intrepid so naturally I found this website!

Anyways, I'm just wondering what the stock specs are on my car, or any first gen model? I read that the prowler with the same engine does 118mph, but I read also that this engine can do 137mph. Does anyone know the top speed, or limited top speed?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
The 3.5 I know is governed at 109 or 110. The thing is, that's only at about 3500 rpm, so this car could go alot faster. Yeah, I was out on a straight flat road at midnight or so one night, so I just held it to the floor from a dead stop. I tactually still has some acceleration at about 100 mph.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i thought all of them were goverened at 118 mph?

regardless, with the given gearing, best power band of the engine, the miniscule drag coefficient, and without a governor, 1st gen 3.5 LH cars could probably turn 130 no sweat.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Originally posted by 97 sport platinum:
i thought all of them were goverened at 118 mph?
i've got my 94 3.5 up to 118 before.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i've never tried but that's what the story is on this website and from a tech i asked (we were discussing the r/t being ungoverned and it came up). again, they could probably do well over 130 with the governor disabled.

·
Registered
219 Posts
ok so the real question is, can the governor be easily overridden? Or do you have to chip the car? I've been having trouble finding a chip anyways. I would override the governor if it was easy to do. ann legal. Is it?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i don't think it's illegal because a lot of cars have performance chips, namely the imports (of course), that are widely used. you have to have the chip reprogrammed to remove the governor. if you could find someone with the proper computer and harness i suppose you could rewrite ONLY the governor part of the program but i don't really know much about the programming of these chips. maybe someone else could provide some input at this point...?

·
Registered
167 Posts
My 94 is governed at 115. I've probably hit it close to 100 times. Judging by the feel of the car at 100+, and comparing it to other faster cars I own, I would guess its good for 130 mph if you lost the governer. If you have an early first gen car (before 95 I think) superchips (www.superchips.com) can provide you with a chip that will eliminate the governer. I have not done this, but I'd love to hear if anyone else does. They also claim increased power and better fuel economy.

Scott

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
people say that the chips aren't interchangeable. but if it pops out, how hard would it be to find a junker, yank the chip, and reprogram that? why couldn't you switch between the two? if you are looking for trouble, put in the been-played-with chip and if you're just tooling around throw the OEM chip back in. i can't believe that this hasn't thought hasn't occurred to anyone before, unless it has and they ain't posted it. hmmmm.....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Intrepids don't actualy have "chips" per se. They have to actually pull the whole computer, and re-program it. The computer is located under the air filter box, and is about 8x10x2 inches if memory serves. You could get a spare computer if you wanted, but I don't really see the advantage in being able to swap.

Scott

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i say screw it then. port the throttle bodies or open up the exhaust.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
hheh... there are differences in the computers between years.. big time. the '96 has 4 O2 sensors.. that is 8 extra wires than all the other years (they all have 2) just one examle.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I bored out my throttle bodies. I haven't driven the car enough since then to say if it made a huge difference. (its been on loan to my little brother unfortunately). I do think exhaust would help. Too bad no one makes a set of long tube headers for these cars. I think that would help out a lot.

Scott

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well I guess your little brother is beating the hell out of it! Just speaking out of past experiences, I am a litte brother of some destroyed vehicles...

·
Registered
167 Posts
LOL...he may be. But it's probably not much harsher than the way I like to drive it. WOT almost every launch. Thats why I run Mobil One, and change the oil every 3000 miles. Gotta check the brakes and suspension a lot too. If you drive a sedan like a sports car you have a lot of mantainance issues. As long as he doesn't crash I'll be happy. :) He should get his own car in not too long. I guess I'm just a generous older brother.

Scott

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
i have a 94 3.3 and it shuts off at 109 and at the little 1/4 mile strip we have marked here i can get up to about 80....i dont know the time though

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 96 ES 3.5L and I have pushed it to 115 mph and I am certain that it can do much more, I left off the gas because I was coming up quick on a paack going 70mph or I might been able to help a little more... the only thing I've done to my car was remove the restrictor... and I was curious, I heard there was 2 restrictors? I don't know where there would be another besides the intake tube coming from the filter...

-Dan :p

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Unplug the Tps on the tbi that by passes the limiter. It well run rough at idle. but runs fine under a load. I did it on my old 99 Dakota SLT. It ran over 15mph faster top end than before.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I can say at 118, my '95 3.5L still had some pull when the govenor shut off the fuel, or whatever it does, and that was at 5K feet of elevation. I'd guess top-end, unrestricted, would be 128-130.

It's in need of a new ECM, and I'm hunting for one from a car which had the VR tires on it, OEM, as that computer has no govenor...not like I need to get into anymore trouble, mind you....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts