DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Top Speed?

20K views 86 replies 39 participants last post by  YB Normyl 
I've posted about this before and I'll do it yet again. These are all stats from magazines so don't argue about it.

I hit 140mph in my 94 3.5L

I have confirmed my run was accurate according to R&T January 1994
Dodge Intrepid ES -=>140mph Top speed 3.5L
Eagle Vision ESi -=>125mph (3.3L)
Eagle Vision TSi -=>130mph (3.5L)
Chrysler LHS -=>112mph (3.5L)

It says the LHS was electronically limited, not the others

Therefore it is possible that drag is limiting our top speed's not a govenor. My car was at 4000rpm's at 140mph that was right after the transmission shifted to 4th and the torque converter disengaged. The car, at 4000rpms did not have enough power to accelerate. It took awhile before it shifted from 3rd to 4th to suggest drag was taking a major toll on the car's acceleration.

Alright I got more info
For you R/T people this is something you might want to know for more top speed:

The 1998 300M's had an unrestricted top speed of 143mph

The 1999 300M had a governed top speed of 118mph.

Who knows, an ECU swap would give you more a few more HP/Torque and a lot more speed

For the rest of us:
---------------------------------------------
From Car & Driver June 1999

The 1998 Intrepid (10Best List Info)
2.7L top speed 116mph (governed)
3.2L top speed 119mph (governed)

The 1999 Concorde LX 118mph
it doesn't say if any car on the list are governed
From Car & Driver June 1995

1994 Intrepid 111mph (I'm asumming it's not an ES because the 0-60 time is 9.5sec)
Once again it doesn't say if any of the cars on the list are governed
If any of you want 0-60 times and other performance info on various years I'll post it.

The 300M info proves my theory about drag and it's effects on our cars (in my opinion)

There ya go, any questions? e-mail me

Originally posted by Warlord187:
I'd be very interested in what various sources/magazines say about 0-60, 1/4 mile times, and other performance numbers for the R/T.

Thanks for all that info. That is pretty impressive detective work. :)
7.8 secs for R/T can't remember which year but I don't think it matters.
1/4 mile 16 secs @ 89mph

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Black94ES ]

Originally posted by gary680:
I'm not doubting you on that, but where did you do this? at the track? if not, how did you know the exact speed?
A clear stretch of Highway in Toronto, Ontario Sunday morning. It doesn't take that long to hit top speed, condsidering in the quarter mile, it takes 16.6 secs to hit 86mph.

Also, I didn't start from a stand still, I was going about 80mph and I nailed it to 140mph in about 30 secs. After 120mph the car starts to struggle to hit 140mph.

I've done it twice, and have no intention of doing it again unless it's on a track.

As for the exact speed, I'm relying on my speedometer. Mine can't be that far off since the magazine's are saying the top speed is 140mph.

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Black94ES ]

Originally posted by sURFNmADNESS:
1st Gens also has a governer.

Fastest producted off the factory are the new R/T's for fleet sales to Police. 150mph. They even changed the speedometer to reflect the higher speed. No one has one of these babies yet on the site though to see if that 150mph can be acheived though. All we have seen are pics of one. Check the R/T forum, beleive that is where they were posted.

sURFN
I doubt the police versions will be as fast as production cars because of drag from the police equipment and the extra weight unless it comes with more power. I'm guessing 270hp might be enough to hit 150mph.

Originally posted by 97 sport platinum:
i'll bet you those cop cars can do every bit of 150mph.
I'm not trying to start an arugument but do you know something I don't? If R/T's can't hit 150mph, how can a police cruiser intrepid with no speed mods and 200lbs of extra weight and more drag can hit 150mph?

Do the cruisers have any engine mods?

[ February 09, 2002: Message edited by: Black94ES ]

2002 Dodge Intrepid Police Vehicle Special Features:

150 mph-calibrated, certified speedometer
Severe-duty cooling system for high-temperature, high-speed performance
External engine oil, transmission oil, and power steering coolers for high-temperature, high-speed performance
Four-speed automatic transaxle with overdrive
Column shifter
Heavy-duty four-wheel anti-lock brakes
Heavy-duty cloth front bucket seats with manual lumbar adjustment and vinyl rear bench seat for comfort and leg room
160-amp high-output alternator to handle computers, electronics and lights
100-amp battery power and ignition feed to instrument panel to support high-tech equipment
100-amp battery power feed to trunk
Ground stud in trunk
Dome lamp switch deactivated
Rear window inoperative from rear seat
Rear inside door locks and handles deactivated
Emergency rear door lock override
Dual spot lamp prep package
Wiring for alternating lamps
Fog lamps which provide additional lighting for safety and visibility
Optional switchable daytime running lamps for safety during the day

Notice it says speedo calibrated to 150mph, that doesn't mean the car will hit that speed.

With all that extra stuff, I doubt it has a higher top speed than a stock 300M. I'm not 100% sure though.

Anyone know the weight of a 300M vs. R/T

Is the R/T limited to 119mph? or is it unrestricted?

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: Black94ES ]

Just as I thought, the new police car will weigh just as much, if not more than the 300M and if the 300M can't hit 150mph, neither will the Police Intrepid especially with the drag

I dunno, I got my info from Car&Driver August 1998 and the production date on the car was 6/98. Maybe it was a prototype, I dunno...

What year did they come out though? (not the model's year)

From the magazine's i've read about cop cars, it's drag limited to about 130mph

MikeW said:
The first gen 3.3 was drag limited to 115-it could max out 3rd gear for 115, and then hold that 115 in 4th
The first gen 3.5 could do 135, maxing out 3rd gear (the most efficient gear in the transmission), but could not hold that 135 in 3rd gear, they would drop down to 130.
Before Black94ES goes crazy, you said that the tach was 4200 rpms, that equates to 128 mph, you need to get the better dyno picture from the March 1997 MotorTrend it compares the 1st gen and 2nd gen engines.

The second gen 2.7 can do 130 flat out.
The short lived 3.2 could do 135 (or 140 in 3rd at 6650)
The 3.5's can do 140 [or 145 if you wanted (or could) rev to 6900 in 3rd]
hahaha, it was 4200rpms in 4th gear with torque converter disengaged

You're right about 3rd gear though, it shifted to fourth but didn't go much faster then o/d kicked in. So 130-140 is a good estimate.

I guess the speedo could be off.

You can checkout my dyno in the Performance 1st gen section, but it cuts at 5000rpms. (apparently 5000rpms is = 100mph in 3rd)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.