DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Top Speed?

20K views 86 replies 39 participants last post by  YB Normyl 
#1 ·
Call me stupid, but I dont know much about Intrepids, but my friends dad has a 98 2.7 intrepid that will get up and go. But my question is what is the top speed of ALL the Intrepids; ES, SE, R/T and if there are more..

#3 ·
The 2nd gen (1998-present) SE, ES, and R/T (Motorsports edition) have a governor which limits the top speed to around 120mph. The R/T doesn't have a governor and the top speed is 150mph. Of course, it depends on the weather conditions (temp, winds, humidity, etc), but about 140 mph is a good estimate.

#4 ·
1st Gens also has a governer.

Fastest producted off the factory are the new R/T's for fleet sales to Police. 150mph. They even changed the speedometer to reflect the higher speed. No one has one of these babies yet on the site though to see if that 150mph can be acheived though. All we have seen are pics of one. Check the R/T forum, beleive that is where they were posted.

sURFN

#5 ·
When traffic was clear I actually raced SHO on the freeway, he was quick but I almost beat him at top end then I hit my damn speed restrictor at 110MPH in my 2002 2.7L. I road 110MPH till he didn't want to drive fast anymore and eventually passed him up. Didn't really want to mention it in the kills section to create contraversy and have everyone tell me I'm full of shhht like they usually do everytime I make a kill.

Here's what I know.....

My 02's restricted at 110MPH. I am going to have this lifted to 122MPH. I could have it completely lifted but if I can do it, I'll do it but probably shouldn't do it. I don't really think I should be doing 130-135MPH.

Some have stated that they're ES' (I think it has to do with the year) are limited below 120MPH although I've done 120MPH in my 1999 ES several times, not 118MPH, 120MPH.

Unfortunately I remember hearing someone's Motorsports Edition R/T was restricted at 118MPH, which does not make much sense.

Also, Ford runs in my family, my Dad owned several Ford trucks, my stepdad owned 2 93 Mustang GT's and now a 1999 Anniversery Edition GT. If I wasn't a Chrysler/Dodge guy I'd have a Mustang GT right now and would actually be able to do 0-60 rather quickly......

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: MoparPerformance ]

#6 ·
I've posted about this before and I'll do it yet again. These are all stats from magazines so don't argue about it.

I hit 140mph in my 94 3.5L

I have confirmed my run was accurate according to R&T January 1994
Dodge Intrepid ES -=>140mph Top speed 3.5L
Eagle Vision ESi -=>125mph (3.3L)
Eagle Vision TSi -=>130mph (3.5L)
Chrysler LHS -=>112mph (3.5L)

It says the LHS was electronically limited, not the others

Therefore it is possible that drag is limiting our top speed's not a govenor. My car was at 4000rpm's at 140mph that was right after the transmission shifted to 4th and the torque converter disengaged. The car, at 4000rpms did not have enough power to accelerate. It took awhile before it shifted from 3rd to 4th to suggest drag was taking a major toll on the car's acceleration.

Alright I got more info
For you R/T people this is something you might want to know for more top speed:

The 1998 300M's had an unrestricted top speed of 143mph

The 1999 300M had a governed top speed of 118mph.

Who knows, an ECU swap would give you more a few more HP/Torque and a lot more speed

For the rest of us:
---------------------------------------------
From Car & Driver June 1999

The 1998 Intrepid (10Best List Info)
2.7L top speed 116mph (governed)
3.2L top speed 119mph (governed)

The 1999 Concorde LX 118mph
it doesn't say if any car on the list are governed
From Car & Driver June 1995

1994 Intrepid 111mph (I'm asumming it's not an ES because the 0-60 time is 9.5sec)
Once again it doesn't say if any of the cars on the list are governed
If any of you want 0-60 times and other performance info on various years I'll post it.

The 300M info proves my theory about drag and it's effects on our cars (in my opinion)

There ya go, any questions? e-mail me

#7 ·
Originally posted by Black94ES:

If any of you want 0-60 times and other performance info on various years I'll post it.

The 300M info proves my theory about drag and it's effects on our cars (in my opinion)

There ya go, any questions? e-mail me
I'd be very interested in what various sources/magazines say about 0-60, 1/4 mile times, and other performance numbers for the R/T.

Thanks for all that info. That is pretty impressive detective work. :)

#10 ·
I had mine up to 119-ish... it was barely nudging the 120 mark... I didn't notice any sudden stop in accelleration so I can't say if it hit the governor because it wasn't abrupt. So in other words, I have no comment on the governor.

#12 ·
Originally posted by Warlord187:
I'd be very interested in what various sources/magazines say about 0-60, 1/4 mile times, and other performance numbers for the R/T.

Thanks for all that info. That is pretty impressive detective work. :)
7.8 secs for R/T can't remember which year but I don't think it matters.
1/4 mile 16 secs @ 89mph

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Black94ES ]

#13 ·
Originally posted by gary680:
I'm not doubting you on that, but where did you do this? at the track? if not, how did you know the exact speed?
A clear stretch of Highway in Toronto, Ontario Sunday morning. It doesn't take that long to hit top speed, condsidering in the quarter mile, it takes 16.6 secs to hit 86mph.

Also, I didn't start from a stand still, I was going about 80mph and I nailed it to 140mph in about 30 secs. After 120mph the car starts to struggle to hit 140mph.

I've done it twice, and have no intention of doing it again unless it's on a track.

As for the exact speed, I'm relying on my speedometer. Mine can't be that far off since the magazine's are saying the top speed is 140mph.

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Black94ES ]

#15 ·
Originally posted by sURFNmADNESS:
1st Gens also has a governer.

Fastest producted off the factory are the new R/T's for fleet sales to Police. 150mph. They even changed the speedometer to reflect the higher speed. No one has one of these babies yet on the site though to see if that 150mph can be acheived though. All we have seen are pics of one. Check the R/T forum, beleive that is where they were posted.

sURFN
I doubt the police versions will be as fast as production cars because of drag from the police equipment and the extra weight unless it comes with more power. I'm guessing 270hp might be enough to hit 150mph.

#17 ·
Actually,

was reading some rumors on Car-Truck Web Site Story about how they have now got the 3.5 able to produce 300 hp and this will be in the next 300N/LX cars. There is also going to be a 353hp 5.7 engine in the 300n too. As far as drag, would beg to look more at the cars being limited due to the fact, no one needs to go that fast with the tires and wear a family car has. Besides, where is there a piece of road that does not have a flaw in it.

sURFN

#19 ·
Originally posted by 97 sport platinum:
i'll bet you those cop cars can do every bit of 150mph.
I'm not trying to start an arugument but do you know something I don't? If R/T's can't hit 150mph, how can a police cruiser intrepid with no speed mods and 200lbs of extra weight and more drag can hit 150mph?

Do the cruisers have any engine mods?

[ February 09, 2002: Message edited by: Black94ES ]

#20 ·
#21 ·
2002 Dodge Intrepid Police Vehicle Special Features:

150 mph-calibrated, certified speedometer
Severe-duty cooling system for high-temperature, high-speed performance
External engine oil, transmission oil, and power steering coolers for high-temperature, high-speed performance
Four-speed automatic transaxle with overdrive
Column shifter
Heavy-duty four-wheel anti-lock brakes
Heavy-duty cloth front bucket seats with manual lumbar adjustment and vinyl rear bench seat for comfort and leg room
160-amp high-output alternator to handle computers, electronics and lights
100-amp battery power and ignition feed to instrument panel to support high-tech equipment
100-amp battery power feed to trunk
Ground stud in trunk
Dome lamp switch deactivated
Rear window inoperative from rear seat
Rear inside door locks and handles deactivated
Emergency rear door lock override
Dual spot lamp prep package
Wiring for alternating lamps
Fog lamps which provide additional lighting for safety and visibility
Optional switchable daytime running lamps for safety during the day

Notice it says speedo calibrated to 150mph, that doesn't mean the car will hit that speed.

With all that extra stuff, I doubt it has a higher top speed than a stock 300M. I'm not 100% sure though.

Anyone know the weight of a 300M vs. R/T

Is the R/T limited to 119mph? or is it unrestricted?

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: Black94ES ]

#22 ·
As far as i can tell it is unrestricted. I have had it faster than the picture, but nobody else was in the car at time with me. I Dont like talking without proof.
Start feeling the drag kinda bad @ 140 (Guess)Speedo stops at 120. Flat smooth road. Z tires.
I drove police cars for 9 years, and the light bar and spots will really screw it up. They need to be unmarked. Guess i got out too soon :mad: http://members.iquest.net/~kimannmac/2002_0202_134433AA.jpg

#23 ·
Weight (2002 model year)

R/T: 3526 lbs
300M: 3581 lbs
300M Special: 3650 lbs

I do believe that the R/T has no governor (although I heard that the Motorsports editions do). I have only been able to get mine up to about 100-115mph because I can't seem to find a decent stretch of road. Eveytime I try I either come up on a hill, another car, the pavement turning into dirt, or I saw something that didn't make me feel comfortable so I hit the brakes. This spring I will try again! :)

#24 ·
Just as I thought, the new police car will weigh just as much, if not more than the 300M and if the 300M can't hit 150mph, neither will the Police Intrepid especially with the drag

#25 ·
They dont really have to anyway, all we needed was a radio, and a friend with a stop stick. :D

#26 ·
Have any of our Wisconsin Intrepid owners been on Hwy. 41 between Fond du Lac and Oshkosh? There is one stretch of highway which is perfectly flat, and at the right time of day/night, not very busy. That's where I had my Intrepid up to 100 (at 1am on a weeknight.. hehehe).

I would have gone faster, but the road isn't very smooth and there is always a nominal police presence, especially on that flat stretch (probably easier to catch people on radar). Given those things, I didn't stay at 100 for long. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.