DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Top Speed?

20K views 86 replies 39 participants last post by  YB Normyl 
#1 ·
Call me stupid, but I dont know much about Intrepids, but my friends dad has a 98 2.7 intrepid that will get up and go. But my question is what is the top speed of ALL the Intrepids; ES, SE, R/T and if there are more..

#27 ·
I am form Wisconsin, and no I have not been that strech of road yet, but I have gotten my '95 with a 3.3L up to 115mph on highway 151 between Sun Prairie and Columbus with no problem at all When I had it, sad to say that a few months ago it got totaled in a six car accident.

#28 ·
top speed

on 15 FEB 2002 I was on my way to Virginia Beach from Cape Cod, MA and after the NJTP I went down 13 South and going towards Dover,Delaware and theres an Expressway 1 that starts so you dont have to take 13 and hit EVERY stoplight-well this stretch is REALLY empty especially at 2am(no cops) so I took it up to 100MPH then slowed down, then to 105 and slowed, and then I really needed to know what it could do so I floored it and got an awesome kickdown from 100 to just about 116 then there was a toll booth about 1/4 mile away so i had to slow down-sweating i payed the dollar to the lady and went about 55 the rest of the way home satisfied with my baby-she really held up-Never been that fast in ANY car before and probably never will again- even though I didnt hit any speed restrictor no need to go that fast again
BTW this was immediately after I installed the K&N Intake-throttle response is amazing-going 100 and stomping it really felt like I strapped a JATO rocket to the Trep-hehe J/K

#30 · (Edited)
I dunno, I got my info from Car&Driver August 1998 and the production date on the car was 6/98. Maybe it was a prototype, I dunno...

#32 ·
What year did they come out though? (not the model's year)

#34 ·
guys ALL COP CARS ARE GOVERNED AT 130 MPH to make sure the cops dont do excessive speeds and risk anything. they may be able to do more but wont unless theve been modified to do so.:baaa:

#35 ·
From the magazine's i've read about cop cars, it's drag limited to about 130mph

#37 ·
motorsports is limited to 118, I've hit it....racing a z28 and pullin away....then i almost ate dash.

#38 ·
Some of you guys seem like you have a hard time finding places to go fast. Around where I live there are several highways where at the right time is nearly deserted and no cops. All of these highways are in great condition so you don't have to worry about bumps. I guese I'm lucky but I've hit my speed govenor several times and I always have so much more room to go faster. Oh well, its still fun.

#39 ·
R/T's are NOT governed except for the MS editions with the crappier tires. I have had mine up to 130MPH 2 times but slowed due to the "shitting my pants I'm going too f'in fast" factor :D

An R/T will outrun a Police cruiser, a 300M and a 300M special.......maybe not an SXT though?

#40 ·
I've got my 2000 SE up to 116 and then it quit. I think it shut off the fuel pump or something, beucase as soon as i hit the mark it dropped down real quick like :)

-Adam

#41 ·
skyst3alth said:
I've got my 2000 SE up to 116 and then it quit. I think it shut off the fuel pump or something, beucase as soon as i hit the mark it dropped down real quick like :)

-Adam
Ummmmm, yeah, that would be called a governer :crazy:

#42 ·
02 models
California 2.7 will top out at 108 mph
Euro-III 2.7 will top out at 149 "
Cal 3.5 will top out at 108 "
Cal 3.5 H.O. will top out at 132 " unlimited
Euro-III 3.5 will top out at 149 " unlimited
Japan 3.5 will top out at 149 "
R/T Cal 3.5 will top out at 132 " unlimited
R/T Mexico 3.5 will top out at 132 " unlimited
300M Spec 3.5 will top out at 149 "
Police 3.5 will top out at 136 "

These specs where according to factory data.

#46 ·
petersho1 said:
Hi ,so what's the best way to get rid of governor, swap ECU from R/T. I'm looking for some chip, but I can't find anythink what will help with gov..
BTW 98ES 3.2
That would be your best bet, unless you can get a dealer to flash your ECU to an R/T's etc. If you do a search in this board abot engine controllers and performance chips there should be a couple of options nut I don't know if the govenor is removed as well.

#48 · (Edited)
Hey guys, just a note on this issue.

On a recent trip to New Orleans, couldn't pass 118mph. Called a auto recycler here in Houston upon return and purchased a ECU for a 1995 Eagle Vision(3.5L) for $150 and swapped out. Now car will easily pass 130, but shifts at redline only, even at part throttle. When I put the orig. ECU back in it shifts fine. I will be taking this ECU out tomorrow and swapping it for a 1995 Intrepid ES model.

Did the Eagle Vision have Autostick in 1995? Could the ECU be causing the TCM to do this? Just wondering.

Rapping it out to Redline
Tiregod1
:thumbsup:

#50 ·
petersho1 said:

BTW "YB Normyl" there is no chip , looks like nobody cares about speed limit, WHY!!!! It sucks!!!
Right, there is no changeable chip in the ECU, I was refering to companies that claim you can add a chip that overrides certain values. A bad example would be the ones on ebay, most of which are only resistors.

Some 95 Eagles came with autostick but that shouldn't make a difference because it's the TCM that's different. Was the comparison you made under the exact same circumstances?

#51 ·
YB,

The conditions were the same, Hot As Hell. Got the ECU for the Intrepid today and it works just fine so far, I will check the top end this weekend.

See Ya'll Later
Tiregod1
:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.