DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Everything has been fine since I installed the new 2G tranny in my '93 3.5L Corde. This was about a year or 25000 miles or so ago..
Shifts good, and all, but I think I may have a slight shudder developing now.

Haven't changed the fluid yet.
It feels like as soon as TQC locks, it starts shuddering, really bad. Then, as the speed increases, shudder gets less significant.. At about 75mph+ it's unnoticable. I know it's still there, cuz I hit a smooth patch of highway and press the gas a little bit, i can slightly still feel it. Past 90+ mph, I can't feel it any longer..
TQC was changed when i swapped the tranny in. (I have had Autostick mod since.)
I can identify that it's the TQC that's the problem, because even in 3rd gear when it locks, it does the same thing.
I haven't driven it more than about 25000 miles, and isn't the Torque Converter supposed to last more than 25K miles?
(Autostick locks TQC at about 35mph in 3rd, 45mph in 4th gear.)

Comments, or should I change the fluid first?
Best ways to do it?

Flush+Fill will cost me ova here in NY as much as a new TQC will, that's why I'm asking..

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would try th fluid first and see what that gets you.
You said the TQC was changed. Was it a new one?. Came with the trany? Could it be defective?
In my 94 there was also a reprogram the dealer did to the TCM to correct a TQC shudder problem that was known at that time.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Did you do the tranny swap yourself, or did you have someone do it for you ? If someone else put in the tranny, did they but ATF 4 in her?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Mine still has atf3 in it. I'm going to change it tomorrow since it's been about 40k since it was replaced.
When mine was done the transmission was not even bad. It was the TCM that was causing the problem.
The dealer reprogrammed the TCM and put in atf4 but that only covered up the problem for a couple K and it came back even worse.
Took it to the dealer and they said rebuild, and two other shops said it looked like a rebuild looking at the pressures with the computer.
I let a pri. shop switch it out with a rebuild he had on the shelf, wish I had him rebuild mine instead.
But the problem showed up within a day after I picked it up. Took it back and the shop figured it was a power or TCM problem instead. They put in a rebuilt TCM and it has been good since.
My TQC lock has been acting a little slow that past couple months. That is why I'm changing the fluid to see what it does. Putting atf3 back in again.
If I ever have problems again, I'll either swap one in myself, or do my own rebuild.
I'm going to rebuild a gm trans for my Fiero to see if I can pull it off on that and my son has a 88Firebird he wants to rebuild so will get a couple practice runs at it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I had lots of torque converter problems, changing the fluid fixed it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a 2.7L (SE gears!!) in the yard, it was from a '02 Trep, and I had the shop swap it. I was hanging out at the shop when they were doing it. They let me watch and all.. since I had to tell them where to drill holes for the bellhousing and such..
The TQC is brand new, I told them to put the new one in, not the one that came with the yard tranny. (That one already had about 25K on it, so I figured put a new one in for $150.)
They put a 1G TQC in there, not a 2G.
Fluid is ATF4, I bought it myself and watched them pour it.
It's been about 25K miles since then. This means that tranny total is about 50K and TQC total is about 25K.
I'm gonna change the oil, any advice?
I know dropping the pan on the tranny and doing a Fill only changes about 4 quarts of about 13 quart total that the tranny holds, so how do I trully get it flushed for a total of 13 quarts. It's gonna cost me cuz the only way I know is getting it to the shop where they got the "circuilator machine" that can exchange oil.
I would like to do it myself, is there any way to do it without that "percolator" machine? :)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The dealer offered to do mine for like $150 if I remember right, but I don't know how you could do it yourself without one of those machines. :(

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I thought.. Damn it.

Thanks for your help.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changed the FLuid, for ATF-4. Watched them do it with a machine and the car Idling.

Fluid came out was darker than fluid that went in.
Been driving like that for a week now, still nothing. Still same shudder at about 45+ (or when OD kicks in..)
After it's fully kicked in, at about 70 mph shudder is almost gone.

Now what?
TQC must have less than 10K on it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Did you happen to ask if there was a TCM software update for TCC lock.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Maybe you have a bad engine mount or a bad tranny mount. Should check the engine mount. Bad engine mount can make the car shudder.

Did the car shake only when the lock-up engage in 4 gear or it shudder also when the lock-up engage in 3 gear?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Never mind.

Thanks for help guys. TQ blew up this afternoon driving home from work.
Started off with a shudder again, I hit some rush hour traffic and It started making whining noises. At first I thought it was my engine or A/C or belts.. because the noises were louder with speed, but then I realized that noise was not following the RPMs at all. It was a very lazy, "something rubbing on something while spinning" noise. Kinda like a bad wheel bearing noise, but it grew louder with every mile. I got to the last traffic light before my driveway and stopped. Car shifted into 1st and stalled when I came to a stop. I restarted the engine in Neutral, everything was fine. Then I threw it into drive and it stalled again. (DAMNIT!!). Restarted again, kept RPMs at 1500 then threw it into Drive, car kicked into first, hesitated and as long as I didn't stop it was driving and shifting fine, the noise was growing louder and it was making tik-tik-tik-tik-tik noise. I think OD clutch finally disintegrated inside the TQ.
That's funny. When my tranny was swapped for a SE-2003 I told them to put in a new Torque Converter. Have they done that? Probably not. That TQ probably was over 150K miles old. I stopped by the place later on that afternoon (1 block away) and demonstrated the problem. They said I need a whole new tranny. (Yea right. 2003 Tranny with 15K when I got it and now maybe additional 10K HWY miles just went bad? Bullshit! Plus, the sound comes from Torque Converter, It's obvious.
I went to my "trusted Mechanic" 2 blocks away. He immediately said that he'll take the tranny off and replace the Torque Conv. cuz that's what he hears. He said if it was tranny, I would not be able to make it home. Suprisingly, he even advised me that the LE42 tranny has a limp in mode second gear (I knew that already, but he continues to impress me with his in depth knowledge.. lol)

Anywhoo, the new TQC is getting put in this afternoon. I will be very dissappointed if, in fact the tranny is the problem..

edit:

PS: By the way; the only place that I know off around me that knows what they are doing when it comes to Chrysler transmissions is "Raymond's Transmission Shop" in Bronx, NY. So anyone around this area should call and tow their car there first and foremost. Prices are good, ($1,200 for a full 42LE rebuild with new TQC) and people are knowledgable and treat you fairly. There may be a waiting list to have them look at your car though, as good news spreads quickly and they are extremely busy. THis is where most mechanics from my area drop their customer's cars off for tranny service. (Then they mark up the price.)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BLOG:

I opted for a full rebuild with a year warranty.
Somehow 4th gear Pressures are showing up on scanner, and they are all variating accross the board.
Must be when the TQC blew up the shards of aluminium it sent flying thru the tranny could have damaged the 4th gear clutches/seals/whateva..
I really like this SE tranny and I don't wanna go and get another used one for $300, there are plenty in junkyards..
So, rebuild and new TQC, install, new solenoid body, clutches all that.. $1,200 or so.
1 year warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts