DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've seen it posted on here somewhere before,but for the life of me i cant find it. What is the torque rating (in ft*lbs preferably) for the oil drain plug to be set at. I think I am overtightening mine and after about two oil changes the rubber gasket on it starts to allow a very slow drip, so that at about when the third oil change is due, Im down about a quart of oil. Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I think I've seen it posted on here somewhere before,but for the life of me i cant find it. What is the torque rating (in ft*lbs preferably) for the oil drain plug to be set at. I think I am overtightening mine and after about two oil changes the rubber gasket on it starts to allow a very slow drip, so that at about when the third oil change is due, Im down about a quart of oil. Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks guys!
20 ft/lbs. I prefer to use an inch pounds torque wrench and go to 240 inch/lbs.
If like me you prefer to drain the oil with the engine warm, wait till it cools down before torquing the drain plug.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
This thing does NOT need to be very tight. SNUG is enough. Whatever you do, do not strip the threads...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts