DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 Intrepid with 97K miles has developed a noticable but not severe torque steer. If I hit the gas, it pulls slightly to the left and when I let off the gas, it pulls to the right. I have just noticed this over the last year. I am not the main driver of this vehicle but I don't remember sensing this before. I bought the car with 38K miles several years ago, switched it over to synthetic oil, just replaced the oil pressure switch (leaking), the drivers door lock mechanism and that is all I have done other than regular maintenance.

Is there any common cause for this increase in torque steer as the vehicle gets older. I can't find any loose joints? I am thinking maybe the rack is shifting or the wheel bearing are worn? No noises and the steering otherwise seems good.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trepsrule said:
does the car pull while doing normal driving? or just accelerating?
Just when accelerating or decelerating! Again, it is not a strong pull just definitely there like a very slow drifting.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Maybe???????
The one time I experianced something like this it turned out to be the inner tierod bushing was shot. It would head for the curb even under mild acceleration, and when you let off it would dive for the opposite curb. Very easy to check, just look at them while you have someone else turn the steering wheel back and forth slowly, if they are as bad as mine were trust me you'll be able to tell right away. funny thing was it was completely shot, I mean a HUGE amount of play, but the symptom just showed up suddenly one day. I would have thought I'd have noticed a gradual degradtion in the handling, but no it was fine ine miniute than the next it was like WTF is going on here...

BTW, very easy to change, had to do some looking to find a source for the inner tie rod though-everyone carries the outer- the inners are harder to find.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got it right. I just went and checked it and sure enough there is play in the right bushing. I have worked on this car so little I really did not know what the inner tie rod connection looked like till now. Similar to a 84 pontiac sunbird I just sold. This is just one of seven cars in my family motor pool that I maintain and repair. Thanks for the tip.

saselker said:
Maybe???????
The one time I experianced something like this it turned out to be the inner tierod bushing was shot. It would head for the curb even under mild acceleration, and when you let off it would dive for the opposite curb. Very easy to check, just look at them while you have someone else turn the steering wheel back and forth slowly, if they are as bad as mine were trust me you'll be able to tell right away. funny thing was it was completely shot, I mean a HUGE amount of play, but the symptom just showed up suddenly one day. I would have thought I'd have noticed a gradual degradtion in the handling, but no it was fine ine miniute than the next it was like WTF is going on here...

BTW, very easy to change, had to do some looking to find a source for the inner tie rod though-everyone carries the outer- the inners are harder to find.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting the parts from NAPA this afternoon?

It seems the failure is caused by power steering fluid getting to the bushing. That is why the right is bad and the left is good. Does not seem to be much of a leak from the right end of the rack. Not enough to actually create any drips. I will see how long I can keep it going by replacing the bushings? Nice car, good on gas and lots of passenger and trunk room.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed it and now it feels much better

The install of the split bushing was pretty easy. Just remove the intake plumbing from the air filter to the throttle body, turn the steering to the right and take out the bolts. I did not replace the left one because it was in excellent shape and taking it out would have been a real bear since it is a one piece bushing. The failed one on the other hand fell out. It was mostly gone anyway! So if the right one fails again, I have a spare :bandit:
The handling is much better and it goes straight on the gas and off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts