DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best/cheapest place to get touchup paint for an Intrepid? Dodge dealer or a car parts store or ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I picked up a bottle of touch-up paint from the dealer about a month ago. I was the worst stuff I have ever used. I looks aweful, it is hard to smooth out with the crappy brush.
I suggest trying something else. I have no idea what though, anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
369 Posts
:biggrin: I got my touchup paint from the dealer and had no problem with it. Match was great, can't even see where the rock chips were. I use a toothpick filling those and do it at intervals to fill them perfectly and last I use the brush.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You should never use the brush that comes with the touch up paint. Instead go to an art supply store and buy a good sable brush. Also for touch up work the brush should be at least twice as thin as the one that comes in the bottle. And then you shouldn't smear the paint on, you should use it like an eye dropper to fill in just the right amount of paint into the chip.

Just some advice

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I've used the dealer paint with good results. The match seems perfect. The brush could be a little smaller, but you'll live. Remember to use the dropper method mentioned above, DON'T try to "paint" the chip/scratch. Just get a bead of paint on the brush tip and touch it to the spot, the paint will do the rest. Don't worry about the paint beading and making a lump. When it's dry it'll be fine. You will need several applications to "fill" deeper scratches and chips.

Oh yeah, I'm not done yet. Then get a good car polish, not wax, and polish the hell out of the area until you can't tell you ever had a scratch. Then detail your whole car so that you don't have one spot on the quarterpanel polished and the rest dull.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What if the touch up spot has some rust over it? I have a very small spot (1/8th of an inch IF that) on the front of my hood that has been rusted over. I bought the car this way a few weeks ago. Do I need to sand that down first? If so, any recomendations on how to sand such a small spot?

Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
99IntrepidSE said:
What if the touch up spot has some rust over it? I have a very small spot (1/8th of an inch IF that) on the front of my hood that has been rusted over.
I have the same problem and would like some input.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Get rid of the rust, even if it means taking off a little more paint around it. Make sure where there was rust, you ONLY see metal. But Depending on the size of the area you may need to primer and paint the area, or if its small put some touchup paint on.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
FunkRider said:
Get rid of the rust, even if it means taking off a little more paint around it. Make sure where there was rust, you ONLY see metal. But Depending on the size of the area you may need to primer and paint the area, or if its small put some touchup paint on.
Not to mention re-clear coating any area that you take down to the paint or metal.

Touchup clear coat is also available.

If you don't like or can't procure Dodge touchup paint, you might consider Dupli-Color paints that are available at many auto stores. It's excellent quality automotive paint. Check out their info on "touch up" under the "products" pull down menu:

http://www.duplicolor.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts