DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the automotive paints at Pepboys autozone ect. Anyone ever use those? It comes in a airesol can.. Just wondering if its worth trying or to just take it to a paint/bodyshop..

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Get the stuff that comes in pen form. I've used it in a few places, and you wouldnt be able to tell that there was a gouge there :p

Depending how much you want to touch up, always remember to wet sand between coats and to seal it

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I repainted a few things over the years with it. It will fool you into thinking it looks crappy until you have 3-4 clear coats on and polish it out. Then it actually looks really good. Clean the area with a prep wipe. If it's a deep gash, mask it as close as possible to the edges of the gash, and shoot coats until level with filler primer let it dry a few hours and lightly scuff with 400 grit. Clean it again with prep wipe. Several light coats of base color, with 10-15 minutes of dry time. Wait an hour before the first clear coat. and 20 minutes between coats. Use a tack rag after every coat of paint and clear. After 2-3 days, rub it out in straight lines, not circles with some compound, followed by a cleaner polish, then wax. Silver is very forgiving too. If you haven't done any painting though, prepare for some stress, lol.

Last tip, if you have to mask the area, try to separate the panel, and not just mask a small area. The masking tape will leave lines, even with the edges rolled up. It's better to have an entire area and fade in and out with the fan of paint, rather than masking a small spot. It will look funky and not match until you clear coat, so don't get worked up about it. After it's all done, and dry, and buffed and waxed, you'll never know it was there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts