DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Either way, I want navigation. The choice is do I get an RB1, or an aftermarket piece. I know how to by-pass all the infinity stuff if I do an aftermarket unit, but I would really like to have the convenience of a factory unit so I can use my steering wheel controls. If I go RB1 though, I'll lose more detailed control of all the sound, no EQ, dedicated sub pre-outs, etc... If I go aftermarket, it'll have to be a fold-out, and I'll more than likely need a separate changer, as the main slot will probably have to have the nav dvd. I don't want a multiple cd system, and I don't wanna have to do my destinations ahead of time and then load them to the unit. Basically, it's a matter of if I wanna sacrifice sound, or convenience. I just wanna amp my main speakers, and add 2 12" subs in the trunk, similar to my old set-up in my old Intrepid. Although I think i'll be going with more power this time, with better subs. I was thinking of maybe tracking down some Adire Shivas, or maybe some Kappa Perfects. Nothing crazy, but enough to rattle the earth if so desired. Any thoughts, comments welcome. TIA...

·
Woober Goobers!
50,299 Posts
K-mart has those Bazooka tubes...just a thought.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
either way you will need a multiple disk changer, because the main one on the RB1 is for the DVD...I like the RB1, I did the same thing, I gave up a little bit of sound quality for convinience, even though i cannot have wheel controlls, it is still a great unit. and it looks soo much better. I'd say RB1!!!

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my '02 Special already has the 4 disc, I guess I'll have to chase down the 6 disc. I think I'm gonna go RB1. Now I gotta buy a bunch of LOC's. I think I'll continue to run the center channel, and the two small mid-ranges in the rear doors off the infinity, and run everything else off of amps. Still on the fence as far as subs go. The Kappa Perfects are really tempting, but so is just putting 1 15" Adire Brahma... I've always been a Kicker guy, but I don't think the L5 or L7 is up where I wanna be as far as SQ goes, and the CompVR 12's are great, but I want a little more power.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw the one you had on ebay. If you can locate another one for cheap, let me know, could mean free cheesecake for a long time for ya :)

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I have a 1500+ system running on an Rb1. They system I have sounds better than when I had my aftermarket headunit installed. You just need the right equipment and of course your Line out converters. (LOC)

Let me know if you need any help setting that stuff up.

--Gorm

·
Registered
692 Posts
Gorm said:
I have a 1500+ system running on an Rb1. They system I have sounds better than when I had my aftermarket headunit installed. You just need the right equipment and of course your Line out converters. (LOC)

Let me know if you need any help setting that stuff up.

--Gorm
I thought all you had were two 10in Infinity Kappa Perfects. I really hope you aren't feeding them that many watts. Your amp is probally overrated in power cuz those subs RMS is only like 400 watts

Hye LOUD...you should just put a computer in then you dont need cds and you have navigation. It would actually be cheaper than a fold out unit.

·
Registered
692 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
Well my '02 Special already has the 4 disc, I guess I'll have to chase down the 6 disc. I think I'm gonna go RB1. Now I gotta buy a bunch of LOC's. I think I'll continue to run the center channel, and the two small mid-ranges in the rear doors off the infinity, and run everything else off of amps. Still on the fence as far as subs go. The Kappa Perfects are really tempting, but so is just putting 1 15" Adire Brahma... I've always been a Kicker guy, but I don't think the L5 or L7 is up where I wanna be as far as SQ goes, and the CompVR 12's are great, but I want a little more power.
didnt see this post...go for the Adire...im biased because I like loud subs. Kicker and sound quality I never real heard those go together. Most people I know that had them wanted them for boom because they usually dont hit all the notes.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I'm running a 1500+ WRMS system off of my RB1 as well......though I hate my LOC and I think I wanna change subs from the Infinity 1230W reference subs I have now ;)

The problem with a 15" sub is that it won't fit nicely under the rear shelf like 12" subs do. You have exactly 14" of room to slide a box under there from the bottom to the top......and 37.5" of width. Ask me how I know :p (the dimensions of my box are 14" H x 37.5" W x 15" D.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
NoLedge said:
I thought all you had were two 10in Infinity Kappa Perfects. I really hope you aren't feeding them that many watts. Your amp is probally overrated in power cuz those subs RMS is only like 400 watts

Hye LOUD...you should just put a computer in then you dont need cds and you have navigation. It would actually be cheaper than a fold out unit.

New system to be unveiled at the INT meet ;)

And, no I havn't posted any details on the new system. My amps are underrated as most Memphis amps are.

--Gorm

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
NoLedge said:
didnt see this post...go for the Adire...im biased because I like loud subs. Kicker and sound quality I never real heard those go together. Most people I know that had them wanted them for boom because they usually dont hit all the notes.

Right on! I had to choose between the subs i bought and 2 kicker L5s. I decided not to go with them. Square = NO SQ...all boom.

--Gorm

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
A former co-worker had a 12" Kicker Solobaric subwoofer and I absolutely hated it. Especially in a ported box, those things are just annoying sound, at least for my hearing tastes. I think round subwoofers sound more "natural" and like they are actually playing the instruments, if that makes sense. I love hearing the music like there is actually a bass guitar or drum.

Josiah

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Gorm said:
New system to be unveiled at the INT meet ;)

And, no I havn't posted any details on the new system. My amps are underrated as most Memphis amps are.

--Gorm
Memphis=the best!

As far as the Hu's why not both? May require a bit of modification, but I am positive that it can be done.

·
Registered
709 Posts
rb1 with loc's and a mini eq unit...... oem meets custom tuning.
Sounddomain's Eq line up.
SavingLots Eq line up......

take your pic ma son

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
ok. Avenger - It's 38" width limit in that hole. My box in my Intrepid was 38" wide, plus carpet. And if I put a 15" Brahma in, yes, the box would be an issue. I don't wanna angle it, because to acommodate the size of the sub, it would have to be a pretty steep angle. I wonder if just one 12" Brahma would be loud enough. I wish I could find 2 12" Shivas, that would be ideal. As far as installation, that's nuthin. I've gutted and ran all the needed wires once in these cars, I can do it again.
As far as usin my laptop more permanantly in my car, never. My laptop is a 17" widescreen, way too big. As far as an amp goes, I plan on sticking with Kicker. I absolutely loved my KX600.1, so I have no plans on replacing it as my sub amp, of course with the exception of upgrading to the 1200.1 I'm really on the fence about my amp for my highs. It's only 45W RMS x 4 channels. I've had it for a few years, only used it for one, and is in MINT condition. I know I'll get nothing trying to sell it, but I also know it won't be enough to stand up to whatever I put in the trunk. I also plan on doing a much more low profile installation than my last one. I'll slap a couple pics of my old one at the bottom of this post so you can see how I had the trep set up. I wanna keep maximum trunk space, with minimal exposed wire. I'll probably mount the amps standing up along the side of the trunk somewhere, probably have to build some kind of a rack or back-board for it. I know a place that sells VERY good box carpet, so that's not really an issue. I still need to go out and listen to some different component sets, I want this done right the first time. I'm not gonna be tearing this car apart more than I have to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts