DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Charlotte area sources, the Toyota factory folks are busy booking time at the Lockheed wind tunnel for 2004. How much time? According to TFR's sources every bit of it that they can get — so much so that if the non-Toyota teams aren't careful they could get shut out of the Marietta, Ga. based facility.

"That's the way they work," said one team official, who dealt with Toyota in Championship Auto Racing Teams. "They're not afraid to spend their money."

·
Registered
69 Posts
I saw that the other day on some INDY show on the SPEED channel.....They said that they Toyotas were the worst on the track!!!! THATS FUNNY!!! I LAUGH IN THEIR RICE FILLED FACES!!!!!ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And speaking of races, did you notice? Roger Penske's car that has the pole position for the Indianapolis 500 is powered by Toyota.

I bet Penske is the first Toyota Nascar team in 2006.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I'm not so sure about Penske switching to Toyota in Nascar, he's worked with Chrysler since the 60's and owns one of the largest and most profitable dealership groups in the country (Chrysler / Jeep / Dodge), now Ganassi, that's another story.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WoW Toyota dominates the Indy. I wonder if they can do the with Penske in NASCAR?

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Toyota dominates basically all of open wheel racing (besides F1), so I really won't be surprised if they do well in NASCAR.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The first season will be interesting for sure. Either they will dominate right off the start, or they will have bugs to work out and not do well at all. I think the tech of Nascar is sorely out of date with the times. There's only so much you can do with a small-block and a carb. I would like to see different configs like in open-wheel racing. One guy has a turbo six, and another has an injected V-8. That would be cool.

·
980 Posts
adaptabl said:
WoW Toyota dominates the Indy. I wonder if they can do the with Penske in NASCAR?
Nascar will not let anybody domninate for very long, they will just change the rules to allow a better show.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A Chevrolet rep says the horsepower shown by Toyota in last month’s Indianapolis 500, reportedly 60-80 horsepower more than any other engine in that race, is of some concern and General Motors might be doing some future tests to determine if it’s worthwhile of remaining or competing in the truck series.

Who said Toyota couldn't built a pushrod V8.

·
Registered
46 Posts
"Who said Toyota couldn't built a pushrod V8."

No one has said they couldn't. They just haven't.

Most of the current competitors in Nascar are concerned that Na$car will introduce fuel injection in the next few years just to accommodate 'yota. (And get the big yen)
So it's not inconcievable that 'yota won't need to use a pushrod engine either.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
adaptabl - I just read Chevy was going to sponsor Michael Waltrip (new truck team) and are trying to get Junior to start a new truck team as well (or actually get back in) with mucho bucks.

Michael is not the primary driver, he said he may run a few races like Bobby Hamilton did before he lost his ride.

It will be interesting, that's for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts