DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my EVIC installed now for quite some time waiting for the tire sensors to get installed. Now that they are finally in, none of them will train with the console. WTF? I know the EVIC+PSI wasn't an option for 99 Intrepids, but I've been under the assumption that it was all just plug-n-play upgradable; am I wrong in that thought?

Also, is the rear window defogger/radio antenna module something I can upgrade to? I'm looking to shave the radio antenna off of the rear quarter since I rarely listen to FM anymore, but I would still like to have the option available.

·
Registered
399 Posts
What rims do you have? The tire preassure sensors will not work with steel rims. It must be alloy rims. I had a lot of trouble programing my spare tire since it is a steel wheel. I had to program the sensor outside of the wheel and then install it. Once it was programed I havn't had a problem with it since which makes me curious as to why it wouldn't program but still recieves the signal when already programed. Must just be a quirk, but yeah the sensors will not program on steel rims. I also don't know about the window anteanna someone else here might be able to help you with that.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The sensor won't train because the steel "redirects" the magnetic lines of force, we use the same principal to shield magnetically sensitive equipment on our aircraft. Magnetic shields use their high permeability to attract magnetic fields and divert the magnetic energy through themselves. Aluminum is non magnetic so the magnetic lines of force pass through it unaffected. Steel is highly magnetic and therefore sheilds the sensor by directing the lines of force through itself instead of triggering the sensor to reset.

There's a more complex explaination for it, but that's just too much damn typing!

Just a little bit of FYI !

cheers

BJ:anon:

·
Registered
399 Posts
It wasn't the fact that it wouldn't program that puzzled me, it was the fact that you couldn't program it but once it is programed it works fine in a steel rim. I knew it would be problems right from the start trying to get a sensor to program in a steel rim.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Cormacs said:
It wasn't the fact that it wouldn't program that puzzled me, it was the fact that you couldn't program it but once it is programed it works fine in a steel rim. I knew it would be problems right from the start trying to get a sensor to program in a steel rim.
Once you've got it programmed, the steel has no effect on the transmission of data to the evic. If it did, you wouldn't recieve signals from the other four as they would be sheilded by the sheet metal in the body. The issue is getting the sensor to train in the first place and for that the magnet has to be able to "wipe" the sensor clean, which is not possible in a steel rim due to the magnetic sheilding caused by the rim. Of course, If there's just too much material between the sensor and the evic, the signal will degrade to the point where it is unreadable by the evic.

Cheers

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the 16" alloy wheels. I have had the sensors lying around now for about 7 or 8 months, but these things are supposed to last for several years before needing replaced and I bought them new... and I am using the magnet to try to train, label side up and down just in case in some bizarro way it had a polarity issue...time to take it to a dealer to get them programmed? Winter Park Dodge is 2 blocks up the road from work...

As for the antenna adapter... just out of curiosity, why would the AM side of it not work for me? Not that I ever listen to AM, but I'm curious to know.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Hmmm....
Should work.

I've heard some people have gotten ones right from the dealer that didn't work. maybe you've got some duds?

Will the evic not recognize them at all?

cheers

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All 5 of the sensors will not train. What are the odds all of them are dead? I've tried doing what the FSM says and moving the car forward a foot or so and trying again, but that hasnt worked and the manual doesnt give anymore troubleshooting tips than that... I guess its time to take it to the dealer and see if they cant force the console to train to the sensors...

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Did you store the magnet with the sensors? :eek: Of so, that's your problem.

As for the rear window antenna - do a search for that. I know CaptainMorgan has a thread about it somewhere and he goes into great detail about doing his - pics and all along with a parts list of what you'll need. It was supposed to be a "How-To" but I don't know if it ever got into that section. According to him the AM is not a problem ...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Come to think of it, yes the magnet was in the bag with the sensors... So are the sensors dead as a result or is there some way to coax them into working?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts