DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 94ES for about 6 months now and was curious what the difference was between leaving traction control on or off. The original owner said she always left it on because that was the default setting. I have been doing the same. Will I have better acceleration from a dead stop with it on or off? Please explain the power differences. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Traction Control helps to keep you from spinning out of control. Being on or off, it doesn't give you anymore power. It is on all the time unless you turn it off.
If you floor it with the Traction Control on, the wheels will not spin very much- the brakes apply automatically. If you floor it with it off, the wheels will spin more. It is really handy when the weather is wet- like rain or snow. If your wheels start to spin, the brakes apply automatically to the wheel that is slipping...helping you gain control.
For the most part, you want to leave the Traction Control on unless you really want to spin the tires, or if you are stuck in snow and you are trying to rock the car. If you read your manual, it says that if the Traction Control continues to be used and the brakes heat up, it will momentarily shut itself off, causing the TRAC OFF light to illuminate on the message center. Once the brakes cool, the Traction Control will turn itself back on. Hope this helps you...

·
Registered
167 Posts
You will get better acceleration with it of. But of course as stated above your tires may spin more.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Wheel spin in a stock 3.5L is marginal and pretty much insignificant on a smooth (normal road) dry surface. However, there is A LOT more on a wet surface if u push it too hard.

It also depends a lot on the tires. The stock Eagle GA's are crap, more wheel spin although still insignificant. I have Eagle HP's and there's barely any wheel spin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts