DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
60 GB video $399 175 CDs ...... Looking at their prices

Let's just say you spent $20 a cd. 175x20= $3500.
You're going to trade $3500 worth of invested money into your fav music for an ipod?
Even if they sold each cd for $5 you can make $875. Win win situation for them, BIG time. Plus you pay shipping for all those cd's.. and they are NOT light.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EvilDeadFan said:
60 GB video $399 175 CDs ...... Looking at their prices

Let's just say you spent $20 a cd. 175x20= $3500.
You're going to trade $3500 worth of invested money into your fav music for an ipod?
Even if they sold each cd for $5 you can make $875. Win win situation for them, BIG time. Plus you pay shipping for all those cd's.. and they are NOT light.
Thats true ! I guess if you had a ton of old cd's sitting around that you didn't need anymore and didn't care about, someone could do it.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Just visit a pawn shop. You would get around the same price they're obviously willing to pay. You can then walk into best buy or equiv or even just ebay yourself a cheap bid on a ipod of your choice.. and whammo.. no to very little shipping charges. :)

·
Woober Goobers!
49,857 Posts
Sucker!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I tend to buy/sell CDs in batches over the year. There is a great used music store a mile or so from the house.

Every once in a while I'll go in there with $200 and buy CDs from a list I keep up. Spend the next 3-4 weeks ripping them and hi-res color scanning the cover art, then take the CDs back, sell them for 50% of what I spent on them. Start over.

By the way, I use the jRiver media center.

http://www.jrmediacenter.com/

I keep all of my tunes and videos on-line on a home built ($1000) 2 Terabyte raid server (www.openfiler.com for the software) and have multiple DVD backups of everything.

I use multiple brands for my DVD backups, keep one copy at home, one at the sisters place (20 miles away) and one at the deposit box at the bank.

With the raid server I can run cheap PCs (the all-in-one IBM NetVista X41 is my favorite, but the Gateway Profile 4/5/6 is good too) all over the house and have streaming music/video anyplace I want it. Just SMB mount the shares from the raid server and you're all set.

·
Registered
119 Posts
[QUOTE='98-ESer]I tend to buy/sell CDs in batches over the year. There is a great used music store a mile or so from the house.

Every once in a while I'll go in there with $200 and buy CDs from a list I keep up. Spend the next 3-4 weeks ripping them and hi-res color scanning the cover art, then take the CDs back, sell them for 50% of what I spent on them. Start over.

By the way, I use the jRiver media center.

http://www.jrmediacenter.com/

I keep all of my tunes and videos on-line on a home built ($1000) 2 Terabyte raid server (www.openfiler.com for the software) and have multiple DVD backups of everything.

I use multiple brands for my DVD backups, keep one copy at home, one at the sisters place (20 miles away) and one at the deposit box at the bank.

With the raid server I can run cheap PCs (the all-in-one IBM NetVista X41 is my favorite, but the Gateway Profile 4/5/6 is good too) all over the house and have streaming music/video anyplace I want it. Just SMB mount the shares from the raid server and you're all set.[/QUOTE]

thats a pretty hardcore music collection dude, nice job.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The jRiver Media Center is great for all of those extras you see other players (including WMP) are throwing in via 'addons'. Their cover art manager is superb and very fast.

Did I mention that it's only $40-. Works with a load of internet streaming services as well as portables, etc, etc. It talks to my Roku SoundBridge 1000 players too.

(www.rokulabs.com)

·
Registered
83 Posts
There ARE other mp3 devices out there. I didn't want an iPod, so I bought an Olympus mRobe:500 on Ebay for $150. That price includes overnight shipping which was about $25. Anyway, its 20 gigs, has a camera attached to it(no zoom and useless at night) and is completely touch screen except for the on/off button. Anyway, great investment. Those prices they listed for the iPods are even MORE ridiculous than they are here. The 1gig shuffles sell for $100, not $150 around here. At first it seems like a good idea, but once you see the amount of CD's they want its just stupid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts