DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I wrote a few months ago when my Intrepid's engine started knocking.

Well, I have bad news for y'all: Bessie died yesterday, at 4:30 p.m.
Fortunately, a tow truck saw me on the highway as I was coasting onto the median and helped me out. That was some really good luck!

Anyway, I was working on a trade-in and getting $2,250 for her. Now that she's died, (gasp) how much is she worth? $1,000 less? I know the parts are still worth something. I went to kbb.com and it assessed she was still in "fair condition."

Thanks,

Cagey

·
Registered
750 Posts
well from my experience yesterday and mine is still driving jsut ticking they were considering it a bad engine and gave me 300 i laughed at them so if yours is completely dead you may be screwed. unless you have car lots that give you the push pull drag all treaded a minimum trade in. i know KIA was having a minimum 3000 trade in on all trade ins they will give you porlly what a junk yard would and i ehar junk yards give you 300 for cars. good luck im sure im going to be in a same situation soon too

·
Registered
376 Posts
cagey said:
Hi,

Fortunately, a tow truck saw me on the highway as I was coasting onto the median and helped me out. That was some really good luck!

Anyway, I was working on a trade-in and getting $2,250 for her. Now that she's died, (gasp) how much is she worth? $1,000 less? I know the parts are still worth something. I went to kbb.com and it assessed she was still in "fair condition."

Thanks,

Cagey

Sorry to hear about it. I doubt that anyone would consider a non-running vehicle to be in fair condition, though. Unless the car is fairy well optioned, I am not sure it will be worth your time to part it out.

Have you gotten a quote to replace the engine? If everything else is fine and you like the car it might actually be your most cost effective option in the end. In other words, if it will cost $2,500 for a rebuilt engine and the car itself is worth $1,000 right now then what kind of car can you get for $3,500? At least a rebuilt engine will come with some kind of warranty. Doubt you can get a car for $3,500 with any kind of warranty.

·
Registered
494 Posts
my friends trep 2.7 died about 6 months or less ago....he had it towed in and checked by a friend/mechanic at his shop...DEAD! He took it to a local ford dealer and they gave him $3500 for it and got him a used car that they certified for a 100000 mile warranty...a 2004 taurus with only 9000 miles on it...he paid them only $9500 for it minus the $3500 trade-in...not too bad...the trep was pretty base model and didn't have jack for options..I believe it was a 99' and it had hub caps so it wasn't too nice...it had over 100000 miles on it, too...not too bad of a deal...u could probably call a dealer and see if they can certify a car or have a selection of certified used vechicles and they can work some pretty good deals for ya...I believe they were asking over $11000 for the taurus on the window sticker....I know its a TAURUS but it gets ya to where u r going...maybe u could find something u like! Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
990 Posts
Sorry to hear.. I know what losing an engine AND tranny is like....

Anyway.. what engine do you have?

Where r u located? I still have my 96 Intrepid.. that I'm debating to sell as whole or part out... :icon_neut

cagey said:
Hi,

Thanks,

Cagey

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for writing. The lesson learned yesterday is that there needs to be a clear chain-of-command when you push a car. If one of your friends is steering as you push it, and the other guy pushing is a drunk bbq'r, don't let the drunk bbq'r talk over you and call the driver a jackass as you push. Should have established that up front with the drunk guy.

Salvage guys are only offering me $150 so far.

Chief Brody, I would like to think I would make the most money if I replace the engine. I think I'm looking between $1,800 and $2,000. Then I would need to find a buyer who would take it for $2,500.

RedTrep, I think I will see what trade-in value I can get for it now, but it's a little embarrassing.

Paul, I'm in San Diego. By the way, does anyone recommend a good website for selling cars like this?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Chief. Some guy wants to see it already and looks like I can get $1,000 cash for it. I just don't want to deal with it anymore. I'm bringing an odometer statement form that I can print here and the title.

·
Registered
376 Posts
cagey said:
Thanks, Chief. Some guy wants to see it already and looks like I can get $1,000 cash for it. I just don't want to deal with it anymore. I'm bringing an odometer statement form that I can print here and the title.
Good luck with the sale. Make sure you get the buyer to fill out and sign a basic sales contract. You want proof that the vehicle was sold so that if a bunch of parking tickets turn up later you'll be covered.

What will you be replacing it with?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did as you said and put together a sales contract. Thank you for the advice. This is a great forum.

I ended up taking $700 cash which I found to be reasonable under the circumstances. The new chapter in the book will open with a drop-dead gorgeous 2004 black/black Concorde. I hope I am still cool enough to hang out, although last time I checked there wasn't much activity lately in the Concorde forum. C'mon, the Haynes manual is the same for the Intrepid/LHS and Concorde!

You must be a Navy Chief Petty Officer, I'm thinking. Am I right?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Don't get a 2.7 this time :p

·
Registered
376 Posts
cagey said:
I did as you said and put together a sales contract. Thank you for the advice. This is a great forum.

I ended up taking $700 cash which I found to be reasonable under the circumstances. The new chapter in the book will open with a drop-dead gorgeous 2004 black/black Concorde. I hope I am still cool enough to hang out, although last time I checked there wasn't much activity lately in the Concorde forum. C'mon, the Haynes manual is the same for the Intrepid/LHS and Concorde!

You must be a Navy Chief Petty Officer, I'm thinking. Am I right?
I had hoped you would get more than that, but I don't blame you for taking the cash. Sometimes you've just had enough and want out. I've been there myself.

I see where you would get the Navy thing from, but you're way off. I just happened to be watching the original Jaws when I registered and Roy Scheider kind of inspired me.

Anyway, good luck with the new Concorde. I really prefer the nose on the newer 'corde to mine.

Since you are buying used, I have to go with Avenger and advise against the 2.7. I don't think the 2.7 is a BAD engine, but it seems to be very sensitive to maintenance schedule and oil quality. Since you won't know for sure how it was maintained, a used 2.7 can be a ticking time bomb.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When the motor died on my 2.7 two years ago, the local dealership quoted me $7100 for a rebuilt motor. Then they lowered it down to $6500. After talking to one of the mechanics off to the side, I was told by HIM that this was a VERY COMMON PROBLEM with the 2.7L motors. Another mechanic there insulted me by offering me $500 for the whole car! The biggest offer I got from the auto wreckers around town was $1000. I opted to have the motor completely rebuilt by an out of town mechanic friend for $4500 and have had no major problems so far. The motor just went over the 130,000K mark. My thinking was the same, where can you find a car as roomy as the Intrepid for $4500 CDN??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts