DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I might be getting a new car within the next few weeks here, and I'll probably go the easy route and trade my Intrepid in for it. What do you all think I can get for it?

1996 Dodge Intrepid Base Model
--3.5L
--6-passenger
--Foglights
--ES Paneling
--Pioneer deck, 5-1/4's, 6x9's
--110,000 miles
--New suspension components
--New brakes
--Tranny still very strong

I was hoping they'd give me a good $3,000 for it, but I dunno I guess.

EDIT - Selling it with OEM polycast wheels and half-dead tires, not with the beautiful 18's you see below.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just layed around at Kelley Blue Book.
I didn't like what I saw, to say the least...
Below $2500.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
just keep in mind a few things

-most dealers arent going to care one bit about things like ES cladding or stereo components

-99.9% of the time you will get a far better price for your car through a private sale, not a trade-in

-if a dealer does offer you a high amount for your car they will keep the new car price high to offset it. your best negotiations are done when you tell them no trade, just get to the best price on thier car and then later tell them you changed your mind and would like your car factored in. they won't be happy but they will do it

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good call there, my step-dad's sone that before. Well, the car I'm buying is stickered at $5000, and I really only want to pay for half of that.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Knightmare_3.5 said:
Well, the car I'm buying is stickered at $5000, and I really only want to pay for half of that.
I hate to say it but you will have a lot of trouble getting that from a dealer, they are gonna want to make enough profit that they can justify trying to sell your car or sending your car to a wholesaler/auction house

the profit margins on a $5000 car are a lot lower than a $30,000+ car

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
JoeKD said:

I hate to say it but you will have a lot of trouble getting that from a dealer, they are gonna want to make enough profit that they can justify trying to sell your car or sending your car to a wholesaler/auction house

the profit margins on a $5000 car are a lot lower than a $30,000+ car
I TOTALLY agree with both of JoeKD's posts. NEVER tell the car dealership you have a trade-in. Its always one of the first questions they ask... and for a reason. The salesperson will use a different sales tactic based on whether or not you have a trade-in.

Negotiate for the best price of the car you wan't to buy. Then hit them with a trade-in. They will not be happy... cause that puts them in an inferior position, which is where the salesman wants YOU to be at.

Also.... if the dealer feels he is making enough profit on the car he is selling you... he should have no problem giving you a fair trade-in value and take a hit on that to make a sale. Make sure you bring in the Edmunds "trade in value" sheet with you to the dealer. And when the dealer says "But Edmunds aren't giving you the cash... we are so we can't offer that much for it."... say "ok no sale then" and walk out. Believe me, they will come and get you if they want to make the sale that bad.

The ultimate goal for dealers is to move cars. Even if they are making minimal profit... dealers prefer quantity in sales over quality.

Let us know how it works out and what the salesguy says. What are you looking to buy?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, I realize now that they won't give me $2500 for my car, so I'll do my best to sell it until the time comes to get the new one.

But yeah, I hear you on that whole tactic deal. Thanks for the info.

By the way, I'm looking to buy a '98 Buick Regal GS. You may all hate me for it, but it's what I'm getting either way :).
I realy can't tell why this car is so cheap. It has practically every option, and has 85,000 miles on it.

·
Banned
128 Posts
I traded my 96 Base model (3.3L) in Jan and got $3400 (Which is $100 more than what Kelly Blue Book said the trade in value was). I agree with the others, don't tell the dealer you are going to trade it in. Print out the Blue Book "trade in" value and accept no less. You might also have the Blue Book "Trade In" value of the car you are negotiating for printed out too as a "tool" when you are dealing.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good idea usually Steve, but the car I'm hopefully buying is WAY underpriced :).

·
Registered
962 Posts
If the car you are buying is WAY underpriced from a dealer, be wary. They know how much they could get from the cars.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh believe me, I know. I'm going to make sure this thing is 100% clean before I buy it.

·
Banned
128 Posts
I agree with Hartski.... Buyer Beware. I have never seen a dealer "honestly" underprice a car. If it's priced below the "trade-in" value or even below the "private party sale" price, you should be seeing RED FLAGS!

·
9,861 Posts
Knightmare_3.5 said:

By the way, I'm looking to buy a '98 Buick Regal GS. You may all hate me for it, but it's what I'm getting either way :).
I realy can't tell why this car is so cheap. It has practically every option, and has 85,000 miles on it.
Every option...including the supercharger?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah. I wouldn't be getting one if it had no supercharger.

·
Registered
299 Posts
When I got the Stratus R/T, I had my 93 ES, 80,000 miles, paint was in basically brand new shape, no mechanical problems at all....They were gonna give me 1,500 for the trade in. That was horrible...The 17s i had bought for it cost close to 1,500. So i sold it privately for 3,000.00, and gave them the stock wheels. i then sold the 17inch-MilleMiglia rims to a di.net member for 700.00 last year. I would definetly sell it privately, or do what DJpill said, dont mention it tell the last step.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I'm going to try my damndest to sell it, but if all else fails, I really need the money to buy the new one, so I might have to trade it in. Just assessing my options. :)

Oh, and the car I was going to buy sold hours before I talked to the dealer, so I have more time now :).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote: "Wouldnt you rather get a fast car? heehee"
I wanna see your Intrepid or LHS even come near a GS and do a reasonable job at giving it a challenge...

Buy the GS you will be very happy and ther is a huge aftermarket that you can easily get your car into the 13's easily. You won't be disappointed. Then come check out www.RegalGS.org

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
98regalityGS said:
Quote: "Wouldnt you rather get a fast car? heehee"
I wanna see your Intrepid or LHS even come near a GS and do a reasonable job at giving it a challenge...
He was kidding. Hence the 'heehee'.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts