DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was playing with the idea of trading my 2001 R/T in . I had found a 2008 Charger SXT on a dealer lot for 15 and some change. Well drove the Charger, and i was .....well...not impressed. I mean it drove big!!! It was the RWD version and it showed a bunch of lag when you stomp the go pedal. Unlike my 'trep R/T which loves to kick-down and lurch when you ask her to. The seat were no where as "comfy" and the "tweaked " Infinity stereo in mine has more clarity.
Don't get me wrong the Charger has great upper end and speed , but lacked that seat of the pants torque the 'trep has.
They offered $4500 for my car which has 65,000 on the clock. I was hoping for a bit more considering the 95 ES I traded for the 2001 4 years ago , they gave me $3000 and she had 210,000 on her.
Looke at different forums for mods on a 3.5 LX car and well.... don't think the 'trep R/T is going anywhere to soon.
Maybe I will give her a coat of wax tommorrow after work and tell I 'm sorry for wanting to look at a "younger" model .

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you trade in a R/T trep for one of those piece of **** Chargers I will kick your ass! Just kidding man, Ive drivin a Charger as well and was not impressed at all. It felt to me as though my First gen got up and went much faster when you stomped the pedal. Besides you looked at insurance on those bastards?

·
Registered
424 Posts
how would you say the interior space is ? Ive never been in one but ive looked inside one and i have to say they looked small inside and kinda cheap

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Feels much bigger , drivers much bigger. The Intrepid was much " sportier" feeling. The interior was nowhere as nice as the Intrepid. Too much plastic everywhere!!!!!!! Did a little research on the performance numbers and the two were very equal. hell the Intrepid has better fuel milage and I believe quicker 0-60 times. Also don't lose as much HP in RWD driveline it seems

·
Registered
424 Posts
well i dont know about the numbers being similiar, because ive raced a couple of v6 chargers and i start pulling away from them from the begining

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hell Ive raced like 8 or 9 of them and every time I get them from the get go and they just keep falling behind from there on. So long as its the V6, But I mean seriously its a 3.5HO just like whats in the second gen treps with no upgrades in a heavier car that has RWD? Did you honestly think it would stand a chance agains one of our Treps?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well i heard our drivetrain loss was somewhere in the range of 35%.with the 42le tranny so i thought the 5 speed mercedes tranny would atleast give it alittle extra kick. Now im starting to think our engines are really just underated

·
Registered
303 Posts
There is no way in hell were losing 35% in our trannies Id say max of about 19% Now in the RWD it might be losing 35% because a RWD actually loses more power going to the wheels than the FWD, and yes our engines are underated.

·
Registered
946 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
With the economy trashed like the way it is right now. Do not expect much for trade in $$$. They need to sell your car for a profit and big $$$ is out of the question right now.

On the same note, new and used cars are a bargain right now.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Hell Ive raced like 8 or 9 of them and every time I get them from the get go and they just keep falling behind from there on. So long as its the V6, But I mean seriously its a 3.5HO just like whats in the second gen treps with no upgrades in a heavier car that has RWD? Did you honestly think it would stand a chance agains one of our Treps?
Yes.

Dodge Intrepid R/T - Road Test/Performance Files: Tested by C/D/High Performance/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

2005 Dodge Magnum - First Drive Review/SUVs/Family Haulers/Car Shopping/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

·
Registered
460 Posts
In a couple of years, R/T's will come down in price, and you can probably pick one up for 10k. With a car as heavy as a LX Charger, you probably want the 5.7L V8 340 HP motor. RWD not to mention, so forget about the torque steer LH's have due to FWD.

LX have perfect weight balance, unlike the LH, which I beleive in 500 lbs heavier in the front.

And remember, these LX chargers have a modified Mercedes E-class rear suspension, parts of the S-class front suspension.

Also, a 5-speed mercedes transmission, rear-differential. The LX platform's 'guts' are 100x better than any LH platform.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's a classic case of "great landing, wrong airport". The LX platform is a textbook example of form taking precedence over function. I won't give them too much flak over the increased weight (it's the natural progression of things), but the Charger & Friends don't handle as well, are much harder to see out of, and I for one don't much care for the seats. They abandoned the brilliant formula that was the Intrepid in favor of making a stylized throwback muscle car that isn't as good at it's intended mission of being a comfortable, practical, and subtly sporty full-size sedan. For instance, I know of several people who would otherwise consider such a vehicle, but took the Charger off of their list of maybes simply because it was rear-wheel drive (it snows a lot around here). My brother-in-law had a base Magnum for a while, and it was one of the least impressive cars I have ever experienced. Not bad, mind you, just mind-numbingly mediocre. You get the impression that it was designed in a vacuum, where little thought was put into what the customer might want, or what else they might be considering.

It is because of vehicles like this that Chrysler is where it is today. If you can't give the consumer a compelling reason to buy your product over that of a competitor, they won't.

/rant

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
So let me get this straight. You're saying that the same engine in a heavier car with a less efficient drivetrain and the aerodynamics of a brick with a snowplow will...

Wait, what?
I'm not saying anything. The drivers & tester at Car and Driver are the ones that did the tests. As far as less efficient ... I think the transmisiion on the LH's rob more hp than the rear drive ones on the LX's. I think if you do a search on this site you will see it's been discussed before in the past. Seems to me that 3.5 (intake?) on the LX's may be more efficient (although they are ugly as sin IMO) than the ones on the LH's also. I say this because the EPA mileages are about the same even though, as stated, the LX's are heavier and less aerodynamic than the LH's. I have no problems getting 27 mpg on the hwy with the cruise control @65 mph or under in my brick.

Not trying to make this a LH vs. LX rant, just think it's funny how some members are saying how slow the LX's are. Perhaps some have mistaken a 2.7 for a 3.5? The 2.7 LX's do 0-60 mph in 10.5 secs vs. 7.5 secs for the 3.5's. So, big difference. I'm not one to quote the car mags as fact without some experience either. But I have to say, C & D has laways seemed to be pretty accurate with thier tests vs. my personal experience with my cars. I've been reading Car and driver (and other car mags) for longer than some of you on this forum have been alive. For example, they did a test with a 2.7 Intrepid and said 0-60 mph in 10 secs. I was like how can that be? It SEEMS faster and with 200 hp, how could it be slower than my old "86 Omni GLH with a 110 hp 2.2? (I know, I know... power to weight and all that...still..) So I did a few runs on a flat piece of local road and I'll be damned if it wasn't 10 secs. (The 2.7's hit thier power band around 60 mph)

Lotta LX hate on these forums I see. I didn't like the LX's either when I first saw them. I thought going to RWD and a boxy shape was a step backwards. And in some ways I guess it is. I had my Intrepid SE for 5 years and I loved that car. I still consider it to be the best CAR I've owned. But after 5 years, it was starting to show it's age (the winters up north here are tough on cars) and I wanted something I could carry stuff in. So after considering a PT cruiser, Mazda 3 hatchback, Honda Fit and Scion XB to name a few, I went with the Magnum because it had the space I needed and the power to handle the interstates. But to me, comparing a Magnum to an Intrepid is like comparing an apple to an orange. One is a wagon, the other a sedan. Can't compare a Charger to an Intrepid, but my Magnum is the same anyways other than about 150 lbs heavier than the Charger. So comparing my SXT Magnum to my Intrepid SE...

The LX's are taller than the LH's. You sit up 1-2 inches higher in the seat too. My Magnum SXT doesn't handle (corner) as well as my Intrepid SE even. Sad but true. Chrysler cheaped out by leaving off the rear sway bar on the SE & SXT LX's. The mounting points are there so one can be added however. Therefore, the R/T Intrepids will out corner the SXT versions of the LX's easily no doubt. In the rain, it's hard to get any traction if you stomp the gas from a stoplight. The tires just spin from all the torque. The Magnum has 51/49 front to rear weight balance (The Charger is like 53/47) VS my SE Intrepid which had 65/35 front/rear. Which is why the Trep was so good in the snow and why the front rotors would start to warp after 20k miles on them.

So for me, if they still built Intrepids, I would pick one over a new Charger or 300 if I was buying a sedan. But right now, I am satisfied losing some handling over the Intrepid vs. the Cargo capacity of the Magnum. It is so nice to be able to put the back seats down and put stuff like 2 x 4's, my gun safe, big screen t.v, etc in there without breaking a sweat. But again, it's like an apple vs. an orange. Plus, I have to say, I have never gotten so much attention with a car as my Magnum. I've had quite a few people come up to me when it's parked asking me how I like it. I guess it's just got that custom chopped top look of the old cars.

So, speaking for myself and other LX owners that went from an LH to an LX. Hey we loved our Intrepids or Concords or 300M's, but they stopped building them in 2004 and trying to find one now with low miles is about impossible. So next time you throw out that LX hate calling our cars pieces of sh** and what not, remember, we were and still are members of this forum and traded in our LH's because we either wanted a hemi, a wagon, or because our LH had lots of miles on it and there were no new Treps being built anymore when it came time for a trade in. My Trep will always be the car I compare my others to. It was a fantastic car, but I had to move on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts