DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, last Friday I totaled my 1996 Dodge Intrepid 3.5L.

I was pissed.

I hit the car dealerships up the day after I got out of the hosptial. I looked at the following vehicle:

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 2.4 L4
2004 Dodge Intrepid R/T 3.5L HO
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L V8

I hate to admit it, but I bought the '01 MGM because it was cheaper and had less miles (Also more affordable on the insurance that the R/T).

I suppose this means I'll be leaving you all for sometime, but I might be around every now and then just to see what's happening.

I miss the 0-60 of my trep, but the 60-100 or of the MGM is SICK!

LATER GUYS! Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
LOL, my neighbor has an MGM, but hes like 80 yrs old.

I guess ure not too concerned with gas prices. I would have purchased the lancer. I love the look of the 09s. Front end is so badass.

Lots of ppl still hang around, i doubt they have too many MGM forums, it might be a crown vic, but there was one of those big cars that came tuned stock with twin tips and such. I forget the name of it, i see them every so often. They are all black and come with a body kit from ford.

Good luck with the new car.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, last Friday I totaled my 1996 Dodge Intrepid 3.5L.

I was pissed.

I hit the car dealerships up the day after I got out of the hosptial. I looked at the following vehicle:

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 2.4 L4
2004 Dodge Intrepid R/T 3.5L HO
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L V8

I hate to admit it, but I bought the '01 MGM because it was cheaper and had less miles (Also more affordable on the insurance that the R/T).

I suppose this means I'll be leaving you all for sometime, but I might be around every now and then just to see what's happening.

I miss the 0-60 of my trep, but the 60-100 or of the MGM is SICK!

LATER GUYS! Thanks for all your help!
Yea, thats why the police use it's twin sister... the crown vic. They get gone when you mash that pedal... but then again so does the gas.

·
Registered
277 Posts
...but there was one of those big cars that came tuned stock with twin tips and such. I forget the name of it...
It was the Mercury Marauder. It was only made for '03-'04 and it was a VERY limited production run. My uncle has one, and he's a retired state trooper.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It was the Mercury Marauder. It was only made for '03-'04 and it was a VERY limited production run. My uncle has one, and he's a retired state trooper.

A guy that lives around the corner from me has a black marauder, its a sharp looking car but its still a FORD.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase! Check out crownvic.net, it's a pretty decent forum too!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts

there we are, i wasnt sure if itwas a mercury.

Im not a big fan of their cars, they are just too big for practical purposes. THe front end is huge leaving very little usable room overall. Still nice pickup for such a big car.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
when I get a new car, I would like one of those newer direct injected and possibly turbo small displacement cars... not many of those are around currently. i kind of like the GM Cobalt SS Turbo except the front wheel drive a bit annoying... if it is under 20K it would pretty sweet...

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Anything with poor mileage is going to be a good deal. Many people are unloading them for better mileage cars. The same thing happened in the mid 70's. 5 year old musclecars were having a hard sell for less than $2000.

I would have a hard time chosing between the Merc and the R/T. I prefer domestics. Our economy depends on it.

Used to have a 95 4.6L Thunderbird. The 4.6L is a great engine. Yours is even better. They refer to the newer ones as P.I. and they have improved cylinder heads. Mileage will only suck in the city. They are not too bad on the highway.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I prefer domestics. Our economy depends on it.
QUOTE]

I'm not sure where in Ontario you live, but our economy depends a heck of a lot more on the Toyotas and Suzukis than anything once referred to as domestic. More Japanese parts in the good old Chevy 1/2 ton diesel than most Honda.

I think I would have chosen the Intrepid whatever it was.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
ure sorta right there cokey,

hondas and toyotas are more domestic than domestic vehicles like ford, chrysler, and GM are. However you forget that it strengthens the power of a foreign vehicle company.

THe leadership and management in a sense is still foreign but with a local labour force. So although they employ locals, they are in a sense still using the profits in a foregin location.

Its like plats that are now starting up in China. Profits from those plants doesnt go to the local people entirely, surely it gives a lot of people jobs, but the savings come back to the headquarters which is north American based and thus it strengthens the original company in North America.

There are some foreign parts in domestic brands but for the most part the most expensive parts in the car such as the ENGINE are still American, whereas Japanese cars have Japanese motors.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
ure sorta right there cokey,

There are some foreign parts in domestic brands but for the most part the most expensive parts in the car such as the ENGINE are still American, whereas Japanese cars have Japanese motors.

My reference to the GM pick-up was exactly about that. 100% of the turbo diesel engine is made by Isuzu! The majority of Ford vehicles have Japanese engines,or at least mainly technology that is purchased from the Japanese. I would feel much more job secure working for a Japanese auto manufacturer in this country than a domestic one. But then, we all know the most secure job in any auto plant belongs to the guy who sweeps the floor.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
^^ LOL.... who knows nowadays.

THere was a joke about this topic on "this hour has 22 minutes".

"Ford will be bringing out their new efficient model in 2009, the FORD Honda" LOL

I think replacement part companies are the safest now from the looks of it. Plus most ppl are basing reliability on earlier models such as the 95 - 01 civic. Who knows what new hondas will bring. There were some past American cars that were very reliable for some and then after a few production years it went down the drain.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts