DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car a couple months ago and its been sitting sine while I get my license and money to pay for insurance, i got all that today and i go to start my car. The battery was dead so I put the car in neutral and backed it up so i could get a car there to jump it. After hooking it up i turned to key but nothing happened. Now its stuck in 1st gear and wont start. i charged the battery but i cant start it untill i get it out of 1st gear, can anyone help?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds like the shift cable has gone out, had similar thing happen to me. Is it floor or column?

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
Column shift: is the lever that allows you to change gears is mounted to the column right behind the steering wheel.

Floor Shift: The lever that allows you to change gears is mounted to the floor (Between the seats). It also has a button you need to push to make it shift between the trans gears or at least out of Park.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
If you turn the key to the ON position.
Step on the brake.

Grab the shifter, holding in the latch on the shifter; can you move it into:
..Neutral?
..Reverse?
..Park?
..D?
..2nd?
..L?

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
not really - you could try to work a spray lubricant into it, but the problem is that the cable is a jacketed cable, and the issue could be any where along the length - most likely near the transmission end. I'd just replace the cable - wasn't there a TSB about it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts