DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just told that all 93-97 treps came from factory with a tranny cooler. I know mine has one, is this true? If so, is this a hint from Chrysler that they know they have problems with there trannys? I thought tranny coolers were for cars and trucks that were under load a lot of the time?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 95 vision, no cooler, exept the
standard cooler in the radiator,
However my sisters 96 intepid, has a
second cooler mounted out in front of the
rad. she bought it used, so the first owner
may have had it installed? She bought it
with very low miles in 98 she now has over
a 100k and no problems.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I thought the 'cooler' in front of the radiator is part of the cooling system for the A/C system? The tranny cooler is underneath, I believe. (however I may be wrong, never looked too indepth at it.

Even so..I doubt it's any sort of hint with their tranny problems. Chrysler's transmissions fail under majority of bad seals or other mechanical failure, hot over heating. Never yet have i seen any discoloration or burnt smell from my tranny fluid (plus I change it every 12,00o miles with filter).

And sometimes in winter I wish it didn't have a tranny cooler at all, because our transmissions wont' shift into last gear until the fluid temp is up to a certain point anyway. Driving 65 mph @ 27000 sucks.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My tranny cooler is on the front radiator as well. ATFCHARGER, do you change your own fluid and filter? If you change every 12,000 miles, that could get very spendy ($90 at dealer). I guess I was wondering if this can be done by a do it your selfer?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i changed my tranny fluid in my '97,
Was a cinch, nothing a floorjack ,the right size ratchet, and 30 min. time can't handle :)

$12 bucks or so for the filter at napa, and it came with a gasket too!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yep, it's a self-job. Dad's got a Mohawk floor hoist in our race shop at home, so I just drive the car on, and BAM! there ya go.

Thrasher's go the price covered, about $12 for the filter/o-ring from NAPA or other auto store. Plus about $7 for a few quarts of ATF+3 tranny fluid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts