DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Trep needs ATF fluid in the tranny. I went and got the complete flush, filter change and my mechanic, told me he had a new fluid that was DEXTRON IIII, that also met all the requirements for ATF. Anyone heard about this stuff??

It was from NAPA. The bottle said it met the requirments of both, but I do not remember if it was synthetic or not.

I have in my tranny now, I would love some feedback from any experts out there...thanks

·
Registered
602 Posts
Absolutely not dude! Don't do it! ALWAYS and ONLY use Mopar ATF-3 or 4 Type 7176. You may also want to check with a Chrysler/Dodge dealership to see if you can use Mopar Type 9602, which is now used as a factory fill in for your first gen trep.

Dexron even Dexron III does not meet the requirements and specifications of the Mopar ATF for most Dodge/Chrsyler/Plymouth vehicles, especially the Chrysler Ultradrive type transmissions Dodge Intrepids and other Chrysler Corporation vehicles have.

My 1995 Intrepid: I topped my Tranny fluid off with Dexron just once, only a little and my tranny soon after started to fail then the seals were going.

My mother in 1997 law's Chrysler Town & Country.... She used to take it to those quick lube places that would top off her tranny fluid with that kind of stuff and soon after her tranny began to slip, shift rough and the seals began to go.

The Chrysler Ultradrive transmission has had many problems since it's introduction in the 80's. There have been many changes to try and correct these issues, updated fluids, TCM (Transmission Control Module) updates and such to try and deal with the problems. I would play it safe with this and even use the Type 9602 if it is cool to use with a first gen trep otherwise go with the Type 7176.

It's up to you, but that's what I know and hopefully some of that info helps!

Take Care! Trep lightly!
MoparPerformance

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great info guys...after reading the allpar info, I believe I got Dextron with an additive. Now I only have 7,000 miles on the Trep after this change, and so far it is running fine (fingers crossed) but I will schedule a complete flush, filter change and ATF fluid...hopefully I will cheat the transmission demon on this one! ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SO if I have 7K miles on my tranny w/Dextron, what do you guys think about my chances to get a fluid flush and escape from this espisode without further problems??

·
Registered
602 Posts
It's difficult to say. I think you said you had a 97 which the tranny has been a little improved since the 95 I owned. Unfortunately my problems started really soon after. Just a few hundred miles. If you have been driving pretty easy and it's mostly freeway miles I think you'll have a pretty good chance of your tranny surviving OK but it's extremely difficult to predict. It's your best inexpensive shot far better than going for a new tranny. When you have it done or do it you may want to contact a Dodge/Chrysler vehicle to see if any PCM and TCM updates are available as well. It's not usually completely necessary but it's a good thing for smooth tranny operation and better fuel mileage. It's usually around $60-$90 USD. I'm not sure if the 9606 will work with your first gen but it doesn't hurt to ask a Dodge/Chrysler dealer and I'd go for it if that's the case and your trep should be running top notch bro! If not ask about the Type 9602. I wish ya the best with this and hopefully it'l work out for ya.

Take Care & Good Luck!
MoparPerformance :cool:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MOpar Performance...thanks for all the help and info. I will get on it this week and will post a follow up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I picked up 24 quarts of ATF+3 7176 and a new filter kit...cost me 90 bucks!!! and I go in this Weds for the total flush and refill with the RIGHT STUFF...

tranny still running OK w/Dextron 3-Mercon in her (fingers crossed!!!!!!) hope I can get away w/this screw up w/o any permanent damage...will keep all posted

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the Dextron 3/Mercon flushed out of my tranny today. New filter put in as well. Mechanic said my seals were good, no leaks, car running well...thanks for the advise guys. I took that allpar.com info in and gave it to my mechanic. :D

·
Registered
562 Posts
If he gets the dexron flushed, there is still gonna be a few quarts in the torgue converter correct? so he should actually Drain the fluid twice correct or am I just being dumb?

·
Registered
349 Posts
most places do a complete evac which takes care of the torque converter... and if he picked up 24 quarts, I'm sure he had it ALL changed :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yes this Amsoil fluid is good to use. I have this in my 1999 300m for abut 40,000 miles no problems. I did a power flush around 2000 miles to remove the factory fluid and initial wear metals and installed the Amsoil ATF. I use this same fluid in all my vehicles for several years without problems.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Does anyone know if the new Mopar Type 9606 has something similar to Mopar Antifoam or should I add Mopar Antifoam for optimum tranny performance???

I have an 02' Intrepid and I just want to know if I should add some Mopar Antifoam.

If so then does some of the tranny fluid need to be drained prior to adding the Mopar Antifoam, is it too much???

Thank guys,

·
Registered
456 Posts
The Amsoil fluid has anti-foaming properties so an additive is not necessary.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yeah, thanks I got that but my Intrepid is new with Mopar Type 9606 Fluid as a factory fill in and I want to know if it already has something similar for Antifoaming or should I add Mopar Antifoam....

Thanks,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts