DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a 1997 Chrysler Town and Country Van (with the 3.8L and AWD).

Upon first look at the vehicle, I noticed it was leaking a little bit of transmission fluid. After mentioning it to the salesperson/mechanic he said that it was a leaking cooler transmission line and proceeded to top up the tranny fluid. I used to have a 99 Intrepid so I know that you need ATF 3/4 in these cars, and the salesperson ended up adding about 2 quarts of generic dexron/mercon to the car. I said nothing, hoping to possibly use this information later to bargain down the price. The van drives very well and the tranny shifts good, both before and after the top-up. Fluid is pink and not burnt.

This van has about 250,000 kilometers on it, but I would be getting it for a few thousand bucks. Should I bargain the price down a bit, or not bother with the van at all? Should I get the fluid flushed and replaced if I end up buying it? Any assistance is appreciated, I figured these vans were similar to the LH's when it comes to mechanical stuff. Thank you.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
You shouldnt put Dextron/Mercon in a Chrysler, but if he added a small amount it should not hurt. I would get the trans fluid flushed anyways with that many kms, plus not knowing the last time it was done. Change the filter too.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Always try to bargain, regardless of the sale.

As for the fluid. Either way I'd change it after the sale since it is a used vehicle.
I usually change all the fluids after I purchase a used vehicle.

As for the T&C. They are great vans, especially the 3.8L engine. I'd be a bit gun shy on the AWD though.

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
try and find out when the last trans service was.. if it was a long timeago, don't bother with it.. just keep topping it off

1 - 4 of 4 Posts