DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Soon I'll drop the tranny pan, replace the filter, and put the pan back. I'm doing this due to a leakage at the back of the pan.

Is it feasable to reuse the ATF4 that will drain out when I drop the pan?

About a hundred miles ago I put 4 quarts of ATF4 in the tranny, in response to a pin hole leak in one of the cooler lines. So there's about 4 quarts of fairly new fluid in there.

The filter was previously changed in the winter of '01, '02.

Or, is it likely that the four quarts I put it would have gotten mixed in any gunk in the filter and the old fluid?

Thanks...

·
Registered
639 Posts
That is 4 qts out of about 13 that it holds. Plus, if it had ATF+3 in it before, it is screwing up your tranny as the two fluids should not be mixed.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
The tranny holds alot more than 4 quarts, so most it just mixed with the old fluid. It's best to just get all new ATF 4 fluid. It's best to pay alittle now, and not alot later, with some sort of tranny problems down the road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tranny fluid question: To flush or not to flush

Thanks guys, I'll pitch that old fluid.

Since I'm doing this, should I flush the whole system? I've searched the bb and gotten conflicting opinions on whether or not a flush can be harmful to a tranny.

Thanks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It can be harmful as the fluid level cannot be kept steady and too low or high level can damage the pump.Some people have good experience doing that, others ruined the pump.
I´d say just change the fluid at reasonable intervalls and it will be fine.Ichange mine every 20k miles.

Benny

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Big3...Please read response from Hypnos in "ATF+4 (Testimonial)"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts