DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tranny in my '93 'trep was rebuilt almost 20k ago. The shop used Dexron fluid (aarrghhh!!). I ran it like that for a little bit, using an additive, but finally had it flushed, and the proper fluid added. Anyway, I have been getting the "bump stop" for a while now, and the other day when I first started off, I put it in Drive, and it hung for a second or two like it was in neutral, then slammed into gear. It has not done it since. Whaddaya think guys...sound like another tranny rebuild is in the future? I can't afford another one.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Dexron.. :( Anyway, have you had the Tranny`s computer flashed?, Tried reseting
and re-training the tranny? I read an article on it at allpar.com I`ll try and dig it up...

My Concorde will jitter on changing from 1st to 2nd when really driven hard, but I know thats a clutch problem... I need to find someway of telling the the tranny computer to re-check the width of the clutch, its over estimating right now..

Hope some of this helps... I would also see
how much compensation if Any the dip shits who put Dexron in your Tranny can do for you... Ask any Dealer what to put in an overdrive tranny..... if wont be dexron!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sounds exactly like what happened a month before I had my tranny replaced. I would like to suggest straying away from rebuilding these trannies. There are somethings that go wrong after the seal start to leak that effect the casing and things never work right after that. The Dextron was definitely not good for it either. I just had my transmission replaced this past May. It cost me $2k installed for a remanufactured tranny and a new trans controller. The transmission has a 3 year 30k mile warranty with it.

I hope that your problems wheren't as severe as mine.

Good luck

·
Registered
502 Posts
I had my tranny repaired (not a rebuild/reman.) @ 126k miles. It's been fine now up to 157k miles. I do not notice a bump stop, but I watch my tach as I stop and it downshifts, which I can slightly feel coming to a halt.

Fluid gets changed every 12k miles (about the 4th oil change). I think that keeps it in line. Funny, if you read the car manual under the maintenance section of the transmissions, it says no maintenance is necesssary. yeah....right.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Most of the time, if caught early enouogh, the transmission can be repair or rebuilt. When it gets to the stage where it is slipping into gear it is too far gone. I don't know what you guys have paid for rebuilds but if it's anything like my father paid for his truck it was more cost effective to get a reman. with a warranty and forget about it. If my tranny starts to act up again then its back to the dealer for some warranty service.

Another thing, too, is the fact that dextron fluid was put in and left there for awhile. This is VERY bad for these transmissions. If you get your fluid changed I would recommend taking it to a dealership or bring fluid with you to where ever you take it. Dextron is what cost me my first transmission. You never know until it's too late to save it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts