DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anybody out there who knows how to do tranny mods for the Intrepids ???

Can't they be improved like a torqueflite or gm/350/400 etc. ???

Quicker shifts / downshifts etc.

·
Registered
349 Posts
well... this would cost a lot of money... in the stratus, can't you get a 5 speed manual with the 2.7? If so, maybe someone with a lot of money could retrofit a manual in a trep? Other than that, the only thing I can think of is a heaftier tranny cooler. Auto parts stores have some for around $40 to $70. Instead of buying the $200 one from the dealer when mine punctured, I bought a $50 one made for class c motorhomes.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
when i am firmly established as a pilot and i have some free money, i am planning to make my intrepid (of course i'll still have her) a total project car. the focal point of my mods will be to rip the drivetrain completely apart and drop in a 5 speed tranny. since the engine is already longways i have considered making it RWD and throwing a prowler differential back there. there are a lot of possibilities. then of course i could bore it out, put ram air on each throttle body, cut the heads down, etc, etc, etc. maybe even a scoop on the hood. custom headers? yes.

i'm salivating right now.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
97 Sport - Me too !

Had a dream I came into a ton of money, bought a new 'Trep R/T - special order , no motor , and a new crate hemi, torqueflite and got one the 'builders' to put it all together.

Ah money.

·
Registered
51 Posts
...since the engine is already longways i have considered making it RWD and throwing a prowler differential back there.
Be aware that the Prowler uses the same transsmission/differential as the Intrepid, just moved to the rear of the vehicle. No practical advantage to do it in an Intrepid, except for slightly better weight distribution. It could be a bear to find a strong manual transmisison which would bolt up to the LH engines and have a rear PTO. To make it a rear-drive manual setup, you'd probably be best served putting in a 4.7 from a Dakota with its 5-speed transmission, then using a Dakota rear end. That would be a MAJOR project, but it would be one-of-a-kind....and a lot faster than a 3.5. That new exhaust note would really wake up the competition! :D

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
if (when) i do this project i am going to try and shoehorn at least a 340 in the car. and yes, i plan to cut.

actually i hadn't thought of the dakota drivetrain...i guess that would be a good start. you'd never make enough power to rip one of those truck differentials apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts