DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,249 Posts
Are you replacing the half shaft, AKA axle, or are you replacing the stub shaft - the thing sticking thru the seal and that the half shaft plugs onto?

If you're just replacing the half shaft, normally the seal and snap ring don't need to be replaced. Is there a special reason you're planning on replacing the seal and snap ring?

To answer your question, from your thread a couple of years ago about the transmission, you have the parts pdf, which includes a great detailed blowup sketch of the differential. Read my post no. 11 here: Transmission swap reprogram

There is a bushing (item 7) supporting the passenger-side stub shaft (item 3).

Sorry to be nosey, but I have to ask why you're asking about unscrewing the bearing retainer ring. You may or may not have seen my posts about the large amount of radial play in the stub shaft. If you're concerned about that, it's normal - the play was there on our cars when they rolled off the assembly line. You could rebuild it with brand new parts, and the play would still be there.

·
Premium Member
18,249 Posts
You're welcome. I hope my explanation in post 11 of that thread helped in understanding why the passenger side stub shaft is inherently so wobbly (compared to the driver's side stub shaft with its length and support on both ends). And for clarification for anyone reading this, when you say you'll replace the shaft, that would be the half shaft/drive axle, not the stub shaft.

Reactions: Ronbo
1 - 2 of 2 Posts