DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 es with the standard tranny. Does anyone think its possible to swap in the autostick transmission when mine ultimatly fails. I'm sure i would need the control box and some other wiring for it. I know of a burned up Intrepid in the bone yard with one. A casualty of fuel rail fire. I'm sure i would need the trim pieces and whatnot but i think i can be done.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think the autostick cars had a different transmission fluid cooler, you might want to check.

In theory the transmissions are the same, just a different control module.

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: NCBrit ]

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Any LH car can have autostick , There is no difference in the trans between an autostick and non autostick one, they are all electronically controlled . To do the swap all you need to do is change the trans controller, center console shifter box , body controller , and gauges on the instrument panel ( so the 1234NRP show up) from a donor car that had Autostick. Then you have four wires to hook up from the shift lever side to side sensors( this is called a Hall Effect Sensor) on the shift lever , one to battery , one to ground , then two wires go to the trans controller , one for up-shift and one for down-shift. Thats it .Good luck

·
Registered
587 Posts
Even if it will be a pain in the a**, I say go ahead and do it man! I couldn't imagine my 'trep without the autostick. I love it! I can blow by cars on the highway, or on normal roads very quickly. I love the control you get in winter with it, and when you downshift around corners, and then rocket up hills.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
anybody torn up a transmission yet shifting down from like 3rd to 2nd a little too soon? i always hesitate to drop mine in to 2nd

·
Registered
533 Posts
The computer won't let it stay in to low of a gear. If you try to shift to 2 to soon it will kick back into 3 once the rpms hi like 6k or so. Same as going the other way. It will still automatically shift between 6k and 6.5k rpm. However I am not sure about what happens if you have a aftermarket chip to reprogram the computer. It is still better to not shift to soon, but I have been doing 70ish and dropped into 2 to launch it. When I had my old tires I would do thaty at 20 into first and spin the tires. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.