DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day i was drivin and my car jolted all of a sudden. then it wouldnt drive right. every time a turn on my car it seems like it goes into 1st then 2nd but stays in 2nd gear. if i want to go 50mph, my rpm says 5000 rpms it won't shift gears until i turn my car off again and it goes back into first. is my 3rd gear gone or is this a bad sensor or what? any help is appreciated----

zack

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
you may be looking at a bad sensor, you should go to the how to section and check your engine codes to see whats up.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
yeah sumtin in broken and yes that is my final answer, haha. it sounds like it is going into limp mode, so there is sumtin very wrong, that the computer sees and is protectiong itself. Take it and have it looked at, they can check the codes and diagnose it and find out what is wrong.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey man that really sucks I had it happen about 3 years ago on my 95 ES and it was under warranty and they replaced it. I did it again a yr ago and I had to pay for a new tranny from the dealer it was $2,400 w/ a 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty on it so it was sort of worth it. I was able to limp around for like a week by driving it like a stick, going to the most I could and dropping it to "N" then when I was slowing down rev it till it was around where the tranny was slowed down to and then putting in back in "D". I am sure it did not help the tranny but it was on order for a wek so whatcha gonna do! Good Luck and enjoy the privledge of owning an Intrepid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My car is doing the exact same thing, but I am in germany, and the nearest dodge dealership is a 2 hour drive. Normally its only a 30 min drive seing how there is no speed limit on the autobahn, but when you can only do 50 mph it takes a bit longer. If you figure out was is wrong, please let me know, you could save me a lot of trouble.
[email protected]
:confused:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Hey rob, I know this is off topic, but what size engine u got? and how fast have you taken ur car on the autobahn?

·
Registered
22 Posts
that has happend to me three times already u have to have your tranny overhauled mine has done it again recently the tranny can not take a beating at all i was out racing on a nice day and it went again on me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
black94es unfortunately my car still has the govener chip in it, so it tops out at 3500 rpm. depending on the hill size, the speed is usually between 110 and 120. the dodge dealer over here has a chip for me installed running at about 350 installed. this will completly eliminate any rpm or speed goveners. which I really need against the porches and bmw's over here. my intepid is the 3.5 24valve. my pics shoulb be on today sometime.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts