DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats up guys

So yesterday i was dropping off my buddy from work, and i had to go thru a series of stop lights that of course i missed, and after a few, i started to accelerate, and all of a sudden the tranny poped down to second gear, and chirped, considering i was going 45 mph. i thot wtf and i tried accelerating from there, and the tranny wouldnt shift. so i drove all the way home in 2nd gear, not going over 30mph. when i got back, i called my buddy over who knows alot about mopars, and he said that the clutch was fried in it, and that the tranny would go into some sort of saftey mode and lock into second gear after every 3rd stop. we checked the tranny fluid, and it looked like old chocolate milk, all bubbly and ****.

so now every 3rd time i stop, i have to accelerate to 40, throw it in neutral, turn it off, restart it, and put it back into drive. its a ***** to do, considering all the damn stop signs and stop lights around here.

there is a local auto yard around town that has 2 tranny's with 170K miles that are tested, for $290 w/o installation.

for now i think im goin to do a tranny flush, and see if i can pull another 5k out of the tranny b4 i have the spare cash to buy a new tranny.

does anyone know if i can find a cheaper tranny? hopefully rebuilt, considering the 2 i found were not. or maybe if i can replace the clutch easily? i just want to find out my options b4 i pour more money into this pile of ****.

thanks alot guys

-tommyk

J

·
0 Posts
I got mine rebuilt with a year warranty for $1000.

It's better than dropping $300 for used one, and another $300 for installation.
(And you still don't know if it will be good for at least a month.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot for the help guys. ill post back an update after i try Masked Mardaurer's advice

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Umm, all MM was telling you to do, is to reset the TCM. You do that every time you turn the key off. You could do the tranny flush and see what happens. But in your case I'd just get the TCM Scanned just to see whats really happening in the tranny. That way you know what to do. Like put money into the old one, our get a new one. You never know, it could be sometime cheap to fix.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
And there's also a ton of reason's why MM is no longer part of this forum. So I'd not put to much into what he posted. Just IMO.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
is the CEL lit up?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts