DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the search and came up with Hayden 516 model for my 93 3.5L.
93s did not have a separate transmission cooler line, in fact, they plugged the transmission lines into the regular radiator, for some extra cooling. My 97 LHS had an separate radiator cooler for the transmission, mounted in front of the engine coolant radiator. So, I'm going to convert it to 97 standards, but larger.
I picked a Hayden 516 cooler, cuz it seems to work out the best.
Now, my question is not How To mount it or install it, cuz I checked the threads out and it seems to be a breeze.
My question is, what fittings, hoses and lines I need to get it done?
Also, I want to install a temp gauge for the tranny as I'm doing it. I prefer digital if anyone makes one, they are jsut smaller and better, but small analog whiteface gauge would be fine too.

Anyone with experience that can help me please chime in.
Thanks in Advance.

=JE=

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
my 96 es has the optional oil and trans coolers.
chrysler still uses the coolant radiator for the trans with the optional cooer.

ok as for fittings and hoses.

you need to find the exit port of the radiator for the trans.
Tke that hose off and put a new hose on the nipple,
run this new hose to your new cooler, hook it into the input port.

New hose from exit port of new cooler to origanal line that was disconnected.
get a fitting to tie the 2 lines togeather, add amount of trans fluid cooler will be holding,

start her up and check for leaks

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
the exit port on ur radiator is the bottom line coming out, and try not to make ur fluid have to go upwards, it does more harm than good if it gots to go back up twice...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, I mean.. really.

:)

But hey, it was 27 degrees this morning. I think I'll hold off on installing it now. lol.

·
Registered
193 Posts
but hey I did this about 4 years ago when I started towing my boat.

I put it in line and it worked great!!!

Then I had to cut then leaking fittins at the metal to rubber point on the oem lines near the front.

My discovery

you need a brass compression fitting and a brasss barbed hose extention on the "HOT line " from the tranny .( do this on both for best results)

the return cold line can be hooked with 2 ring clamps only and not work its way loose

otherwise you'll be drivin down the road and then :fun_48: all your tranny fluid when the hot line works its way off

1 - 8 of 8 Posts