DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trans cooling line leak (big time)

Well I was hoping my 2002 Trep, like my previous Eagle Vision would never have to set foot in dealership for repairs.
SURPRISE! :angry:
I had a half hour highway drive home last night, pull in front of the driveway, put it into reverse (usually back the car in) and Oops, must have put it in neutral instead cause it's not backing up, so I look to the cluster and no, it's in reverse. I try accelerating again and it starts reversing, now I put it in forward (to straighten out) and it doesn't wanna go for about 2 secs.
Well I'm pissed, :mad:( I had a tiny leak last week, tightened the clamp where the trans cooling line goes into the rad and the leak stopped, checked the tans level and all's good) . So I get the trouble light out and the Tranny fluid is still dripping but from the pressed end (the aluminum fitting where the hose goes from rubber to metal)
I guess it'll be towed to the dealer. Does the warranty cover the tow truck bill. Also I'm thinking the least they have to do is replace the line and change my tranny fluid. Any thoughts?
:crazy: :mad: :angry: :(

In case this is common, I would ask that you keep an eye on your tranny fluid level and hoses for leaks. I say this because they've changed these fittings to clamps a little while back from the supplier.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey YB

I have a first gen, but I had the same problem. I was leaking trans fluid in the driveway. Same deal as you, the rubber hose cracked where it met the metal connector.

This ended up being a 5 buck repair....no kidding.

I took the the whole hose off. One end from the tranny cooler, and one end formt he part that goes into the radiator. Plugged both holes of course, and went th O'Reilly's. They sold me new rubber hose and a compression clamp.

So I cut the old cracked hose off, slid the new hose over the metal thingy, put the clamp on .......and as good as new!

I checked my fluid level and it was just a tad low so I added some MOPAR ATF I had left over. No leak and it's running fine.

I hope perhaps your fluid is low and once flushed/filled/flashed, it will be as good as new.I never hand any shifting problems like you did
Good luck and keep us posted!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad your's worked out. I could fix it but I don't wanna touch it since it's under warranty and I want it on record in case of any future tranny probs. It was way too cold to check the fluid level last night and I was just too pissed off. Wait till I go in to work on Monday and find out who the supplier is for the tranny lines, OH BOY.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't blame you one bit...

It's good that it is under warrenty. I'm sure it will be fixed and as good as new in no time!

Your car is really sharp! I love silver/platnum vehicles...

·
Registered
429 Posts
this is so common on dc vehicles. I fixed in on my 98 minivan, my in-laws 99 minivan and my intrepid.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I just checked mine and it has has fittings on the tranny cooler and clamps on the lines leaving the rad to the cooler. Your warranty will cover towing to the nearest dealer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had this problem just recently. Because of a freak stroke of luck I cought it early and had it fixed by the dealer under warranty.
I will keep a close eye on it from now on!

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just found my roadside assistance info, I'll have to give them a call in the morning. Check the trans fluid level and its way down around the add mark.

Nice ride Frank-eGNY, you don't see too many white R/T's. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
YB Normyl said:

Nice ride Frank-eGNY, you don't see too many white R/T's. :)
Thanks! I really like this car! I haven't made any mods to it but I keep it in the best condition I can.
My dealer had four white R/Ts on his lot at the time and that could explain why you don't see too many of them! They are all here in the Queens NY area!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have helped fix many of these cooler line problems, and it is not a big job,. BUT I AGREE with you that as long as it is IN WARRANTY, No matter how much trouble it is, have it fixed at the dealership. INCASE ANY problems arise later because of the low fluid, you will have the repair on record.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tow truck should be pulling up any time now and it's off to the dealer. :(

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hey! I've got a leak in my tranny coolant line as well, but I cant spot it! Its right where it goes into the radiator on the drivers side-high. There is transmission fluid all over the radiator right near that hose/connection, but no visible leak :/

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it's not under warranty tighten the little clamps that secure the hoses into the rad.

Had the Trep towed into the dealer and I told the service guy that I had a new tranny filter and asked him how much it would be to have them drop the pan and change the filetr. He says that my car isn't due for a tranny service yet (mileage) so I tell him I don't want the tranny serviced I just want the filter changed besides they have to add tranny fluid anyway. He says a tranny service is $79 +$50 for parts. Again I tell him I have the part, a filter and they don't use a gasket (gasket maker) He says he has to ask the service manager, he comes back and says a tranny service (inspection adjustment etc) is $150 (these guys have been inhaling too many fumes) Again I tell him I don't want a complete tranny service but then give up and say forget it.
Anyway Trep's still there, they had to order tranny cooling lines. No wonder people hate going to the dealers. :confused:

·
Registered
349 Posts
YBNormal, how many miles left on your warranty? I don't mean to scare you, but if you're tranny started slipping, it may not have much life left. I lost my tranny fluid from a leak in my tranny cooler and it started slipping and then wouldn't go into gear at all anymore. I only drove a mile from the time the fluid started leaking. 3000 miles later my transmission failed completely at 49k miles. I saw the parts they took out of the transmission when they rebuilt it and you could see all the heat marks and discoloration on the metal from when it lost all that fluid. I heard that for every 20 degrees above normal, the tranny loses half its life. Anyways, good thing you are keeping records of this because if the warranty expires and the transmission goes out, you will need any documentation you can get to even have a slight chance of escaping the costs of a rebuilt or rebuild.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's only 1 yr old with 21,000 Kilometers or about 12K.
The Trep is still sitting at the dealer. They're still waiting for tranny cooler lines.

·
Registered
429 Posts
YB Normyl said:
If it's not under warranty tighten the little clamps that secure the hoses into the rad.

:
If that doesnt work, loosen the clamp, remove the hose from the radiator, cut off 1" of hose, replace on radiator and tighten clamp.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, 4 days without my Trep and it's still not ready. Apparently there's a back order on one of the trans cooling lines.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It seems that these transmission cooler line leaks are occuring on the high pressure side of the transmission cooling system. That suggests a restriction in the cooler(s).

Has anyone tried to bypass the factory cooler(s) with an aftermarket cooler from B&M or other brand? Results?

·
Registered
429 Posts
CiscoKid said:
It seems that these transmission cooler line leaks are occuring on the high pressure side of the transmission cooling system. That suggests a restriction in the cooler(s).

Has anyone tried to bypass the factory cooler(s) with an aftermarket cooler from B&M or other brand? Results?
The 3 or 4 times I've fixed this problem it was simply a loose hose clamp or a clamp that broke through the hose end.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CiscoKid said:

No progress on the Trep, one of the cooling lines (probably the high preesure)is on back order. Had to forcefully request a loaner, they gave me a rental SX-2 so I'm paying the extra $10 to drive a Trep (black ES). You can bet I'll be looking into a good trans cooler after this is done with.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts