DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy:

I am a new member, and new to chats and forums, so forgive me in advance for any protocol violation. This is my kind of club - die-hard LH fans. No matter what my wife says, these are cool cars.

I am having two issues with my LH - '93 Vision TSi 3.5 95K miles. I have researched both on this site, but would appreciate any further information from any of you fine folk. Here they are:

#1 Transmission Leak - seems to be coming from torque converter dust shield. Definately ATF, not transaxle fluid. Leak has gotten worse over past 3 months, from nearly nothing to a 6-8" diameter puddle overnite. Previous owner had a rebuild and 4 torque converters (yes 4) installed by Aamco in 2/2000 about 30,000 miles ago. It has correct fluid (ATF +3). Tranny goes into limp mode regularly. If I turn off car and restart after 30 seconds, its fine for 5-10 more miles before "limping" again. Fluid level is correct, even with leak, as I'm always adding fluid. Would the leak cause the limp mode? How can I pull the Tranny codes? How do I retrain the tranny? Is anything a common cause of a leak in this area?

#2 AC stopped working. Has cllimate control, and the controls lighted buttons indicate AC is turned on. I read about the transducer, can it be tested to confirm its condition? Does anyone know more about the "silent" warranty than what AllPar has (is it 100,000 miles or 75,000?)

Thanks folks, sorry to be so long-winded, but the more info the better sometimes.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
first sully, welcome aboard. (1st gens rule!!!) you may have better luck putting you questions in the first gen section.
in reguard to the "limp mode" question, you may have to replace the input and output sensors. the other questions i will leave to someone that has more experience with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dabirdz96. Nice ride.

I'll try the first gen section as you advise. Discovered TCM is throwing code 54 - "speed ratio fault 4th gear." Now I do notice that 4th slips when I push it, darn thing is so smooth, it was hard to notice, figured it was downshifting when I glanced at tach. Won't go into "limp" if I leave it in third (never sees 4th so never slips). Just trying to figure if the leak and the slip are related.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
it might be the lockup part of the torque converter dying... maybe have the lockup solonoid checked...?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
excellent thought, thanks Lafrad! I'll have a shop do that today. I don't have the 43LE Diagnostic Procedures Manual (referred to in the shop manual). Do you know a way for a DIY to check it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts