DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all! I am new to this forum and have a question concerning Automatic Transmission fluid. My son just purchase a 97 Intrepid that the previous owner had a rebuilt tranny installed just a few weeks ago. Upon doing some reading on the net I discovered that these transmissions require specific Mopar ATF or they can fail rapidly. My question is how do I tell if the ATF in the transmission is correct? Would buying a bottle at my local dodge dealer and comparing it with whats on the dipstick be enough?:confused:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Best thing to do if you're not sure is take it to the dealer and have a tranny flush done... have them drain all the fluid and refill it back up with the right fluid.

Taking it to a dealer is the best way to know exactly what's in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that was my first inclination, but I was trying to save him some money, but if these trannys are so tempermental then he should go ahead and have it done by a dealer.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
murph said:
Yeah, that was my first inclination, but I was trying to save him some money, but if these trannys are so tempermental then he should go ahead and have it done by a dealer.
Slip the service guy a twenty and ask him to give it a good looking over while they're at it. I get awful good treatment by springing for lunch every now and then. :wink:

·
Registered
581 Posts
ATF 4 is the best way you can go. You can buy it only at the dealer to my knowledge. ATF3 is available at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts