DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta watch these mechanics who want to put Dexron III Mercon or other fluids into our Chrysler products -- they seem to use it in everything! Owner's manuals USED to say use ATF7176, or Dexron II if the ATF7176 is not available, but my '98 Intrepid ES manual says in one place to use only Chrysler ATF+3 fluid, and in another place to use ATF+2 fluid, never mentioning Dexron at all. It's interesting that on the Quaker State ATF+3 fluid I bought, which indicates use for Chrysler products, it also recommends against putting ATF+3 in any other vehicles (GM/Ford/etc.). That would suggest to me that there are significant differences and that the Dexron III Mercon is probably not good for Chrysler vehicles. I did notice the Dexron III Mercon still states "good for most Chrysler vehicles" but I bet that's an old statement covering the older Chryslers that used Dexron fluids.

·
Registered
471 Posts
This is the only thing I'll take my car to the dealer for, the tranny. I don't need my tranny blowing up becuase some iddiot put GM vomit in my tranny.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can also run the latest +4 stuff if you want to pay the $8/qt. The +3 is "life limited". The +4 is same stuff but does not "wear out" is the way a Chrysler instructor explained it to me.
And you are right - under NO circumstance should you use Dexron! The tranny guy at the local dealership told me he makes a GOOD living off folks who have.

·
Registered
144 Posts
As I have suggested earlier...check out "Allpar.com" it has a wealth of info on the tranny fluid dilemma.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts