DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I would like to do a transmission flush on my 96 3.5l intrepid. I had to take it in recently to get the fuel rail changed due to factory recall. While at the dealership, they noted that the transmission seemed dirty. Just to be safe i would like to do a transmission flush.

I have gotten price quotes to have it done b/t $70 & $120. I have never done a transmission flush, but if it is something that is not extremely difficult and i can save some $ my doing it myself, i would rather do that.

So, can anyone explain to me or point me to a post that explains to me how to do the transmission flush.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Careful!

I think a better idea is to drop the pan and change the filter using only the Chrysler OEM filter. Don't use cheap after market filters.

The pan holds 1 gallon of fluid. I used a replaceable gasket from Chrysler, then changed the fluid again a month later. That did a better job than flushing, because you do need to change the filter.

My fear of flushing is that it just frees up crap that will plug the filter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ok, it sounds like draining pan, changing filter/gasket might do the trick.

next quetion, how do i change the filter and where is it located.

also, where would be the best place to get the parts. i hate going to a dealer b/c they are so grossly over priced.

thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
assman said:
ok, it sounds like draining pan, changing filter/gasket might do the trick.

next quetion, how do i change the filter and where is it located.

also, where would be the best place to get the parts. i hate going to a dealer b/c they are so grossly over priced.

thanks
The filter is accessed by dropping the pan. It snaps into a slot in the transmission. I think you will have to go to a dealer for an OEM filter, but they are not too expensive. I used a neoprene gasket, part number 05011115-AA because it is reuseable. Chrysler uses RTV at the factory for this seal.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
isnt the filter held on by clips; I think you need a torx head to loosen them up. Oh and by the way there is no drain plug on the pan so it makes a freakin mess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts