DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. Could Use Some Advice,i Got A 99 Intrepid W/ 3.2l And The Trnny Won,t Shift Int 4th Gear. The Gauges Also Stop Working Within Minutes Of Starting The Car. A Friend Told Me It Was The Input/output Sensors. So, I Replaced Them,and It Still Didn't Solve The Problem. Got Any Ideas? Any Help Would Be Appreciated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Is the check engine light on? You can get the codes without a computer:

http://dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9490

There's a link to a list of the code descriptions on the How-To page. Post the codes if you have any - that will help diagnose the problem.

Dave

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Stop guessing and wasting your time and money on sensors.
Get the transmission codes read and you will know the problem.

I do understand that input sensors are common problems but if you have ever seen the information a transmission code reader tells you can go straight to the problem.

·
Registered
429 Posts
BIGGDOGG1976 said:
Hi Everyone. Could Use Some Advice,i Got A 99 Intrepid W/ 3.2l And The Trnny Won,t Shift Int 4th Gear. The Gauges Also Stop Working Within Minutes Of Starting The Car. A Friend Told Me It Was The Input/output Sensors. So, I Replaced Them,and It Still Didn't Solve The Problem. Got Any Ideas? Any Help Would Be Appreciated.
Hmm. sounds more like an electrical voltage problem then a transmission problem since the tranny is electronically controlled. I've heard of strange things happening with a bad battery due to voltage fluctuations. Seek out a good troubleshooting mechanic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks For The Advice. I Did The Whole Thing On Disconnecting The Negitve Battery Cable. Nothing. Tried Getting The Codes, And It Didn't Give Anything Up. I'm Thinking The Car Is Possesed. What Did Think Was Kinda Weird Was The Odometer Display Is Always On. I Never Thought Anything Of It. But Maybe I Could Have A Electrical Problem On My Hands.

·
Registered
207 Posts
When you say getting codes gave nothing, so you mean absoutely nothing was displayed? If there were no codes you should've at least seen "done" in the odometer display.

The odometer always being on also sounds like an electrical problem. I'm pretty sure the odometer is controlled by the PCM, and a flaky PCM would definitely cause all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Retry getting the codes. This time put the transmission in neutral and apply the parking brake before you do the on-off-on-off-on routine

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't believe you can get tranny codes from the key turn method. I think you need to go to a dealer to get those read. I may be wrong thoough.

Are you getting slammed into limp mode? Does the car try and shift into 4th? How many miles on the car?

Mike

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
As far as I know holding down the Odometer/trip reset button and then turning the key to the on position will show codes the gauges will do a check and codes will be displayed. It is most likely in limp mode not changing to fourth would be a TCM or serious transmission problem. If it is limp mode then the check engine light should be on. If the gauges are not working it can be input output sensors or crankshaft sensor depending on which gauges are not working. Either way the check engine light should be illuminated. Otherwise goto the dealer or somewhere and have codes read there has to be a fault code from somewhere if the transmission is not shifting correctly.

·
Registered
568 Posts
popimp said:
As far as I know holding down the Odometer/trip reset button and then turning the key to the on position will show codes the gauges will do a check and codes will be displayed. It is most likely in limp mode not changing to fourth would be a TCM or serious transmission problem. If it is limp mode then the check engine light should be on. If the gauges are not working it can be input output sensors or crankshaft sensor depending on which gauges are not working. Either way the check engine light should be illuminated. Otherwise goto the dealer or somewhere and have codes read there has to be a fault code from somewhere if the transmission is not shifting correctly.

Well when my OD clutches wore out, my Trep would go into limp mode and no engine codes were thrown, no check engine light either. I'm not sure on the 99s, but I know with my car that's the way it worked. The TCM holds it's own codes and they need to be pulled by a specific reader.

I agree that this sounds serious. I keep hearing that these input sensors go bad, but everyone that I read who has tranny problems, swaps them and it doesn't help. I know I wasted money on that as well.

My advice is, get the codes checked and go from there.

Mike

·
Registered
429 Posts
A transmission that mechanically fails may not generate any codes. It depends whats wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Thanks For All The Advise, The Problem With The Odometer Always Being Lit Is Gone. And The 4th Gear Is Engaging Properly. The Only Thing Is That The Check Engine Light Still Stays Lit And The Speedometer And The Tachometer Don't Work Any Help Would Be Appreciated

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exactly what fixed the problem? Please read

What did you do to fix it? You say it goes int 4th. How? We have 1995 LHS with same problem, automatic trans won't shift into 4th. Dad took it to mechanic who replaced trans for $2500 :brutal_01 and returned car. It still did not go into 4th. Took it back to mech who then replaced comp and it still doesn't go into 4th. In a couple hrs I have to take it back to mech :boid: and ask for a ride home or walk. please help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The first gen intrepids had a tranny product recall. I think that was what it was for anyway. Maybe there was one for the newer ones too, that might be something that would get it fixed. That is the only guess I have because I have a first gen and never even had the manual to see how to check codes so as far as that goes, I dunno.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
IntrepidDude said:
A transmission that mechanically fails may not generate any codes. It depends whats wrong.
I'd agree with you in theory but I've seen the data stored in these transmission computers. Believe this, if the trans seen a soft shift 3 weeks ago, the computer knows. It will actually, up to a certain point, adjust pressures and timing within the trans to correct minor issues.
It will even adjust shift firmness according to your particular driving style.

When it sees the input speed of the turbine, it expects to see a certain speed on the output shaft.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts