DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!!!!!! I think my tranny has **** the bed :eek: :( I was out earlier today, just started to rain... went to make a left turn onto highway ramp.. when the car jolted.. & then I was revving the engine.. but wasn't moving!! Pulled to side of road, then put car in neutral.. placed back in drive.. All seemed fine.. got onto highway... no problems, shifted smooth, even floored it a few times quickly.. all was good.. Went to work, was going out for dinner break, & came to a stop @ bottom of driveway @ my job.. Stopped @ stop sign, & just was going to shift into 2nd gear, car lost complete power again, & revved.. Pulled to side of road, placed in neutral, & tried drive, heard all kinds of grinding, noise. Placed in reverse, same thing... Funny thing is... car's rpm's were raising & speedometer was going up too without my foot on gas EVERYTIME I placed in gear (drive,reverse)!! :eek: Tried to get codes nothing... except normal 55. Stopped & restarted... no go.. Checked tranny fluid... seemed a lil low, but not below add mark. Added MOPAR 7176 fluid.. nothing same thing. Now, last week I added a lil Lucas stop leak, & slip reducer, as that was all they had... heard some good things about it.. read online other places it was safe for tranny.. as I know ONLY to use MOPAR fluid.. So.. tow truck came.. towed car into shop... Talked to mechanic, who things it's not good... I CANNOT AFFORD A NEW TRANNY!.. Filled out paperwork, went to get keys from ignition, tried it once more, started it.. put it in drive, went in gear fine.. car even moved when I released brake.. reverse & drive went fine.. after a few times. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ASAP! I DON'T KNOW WHAT CAN BE WRONG! I talked to towing guy who thinks tranny might be gone too, I thought possibly a sensor, but last time my sensor went tranny went into limp mode.. ANYONE PLEASE REPLY ASAP.. THANKS! :confused: :( :cry:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
Sounds like its toast to me.

Sounds like the differential bearing. I had the exact same symptoms, and that is what was wrong with my transmission.

$1,800 later...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
I thought you could only get the tranny codes directly off the TCM. :confused: Anyway, from what you described it sounds like it's gone. :(

My cousin put the Lucas stuff into my car as part of his "tune up" and my tranny shifted like crap after that. My tranny was flushed just a couple of weeks before too. :mad: The first thing I did was take it to get flushed out again and that seemed to fix it. I think the Lucas stuff actually makes the fluid a little too thick to flow properly. Not sure though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
Paul's 96 Trep said:
HELP!!!!!!!! I think my tranny has **** the bed :eek: :( I was out earlier today, just started to rain... went to make a left turn onto highway ramp.. when the car jolted.. & then I was revving the engine.. but wasn't moving!! Pulled to side of road, then put car in neutral.. placed back in drive.. All seemed fine.. got onto highway... no problems, shifted smooth, even floored it a few times quickly.. all was good.. Went to work, was going out for dinner break, & came to a stop @ bottom of driveway @ my job.. Stopped @ stop sign, & just was going to shift into 2nd gear, car lost complete power again, & revved.. Pulled to side of road, placed in neutral, & tried drive, heard all kinds of grinding, noise. Placed in reverse, same thing... Funny thing is... car's rpm's were raising & speedometer was going up too without my foot on gas EVERYTIME I placed in gear (drive,reverse)!! :eek: Tried to get codes nothing... except normal 55. Stopped & restarted... no go.. Checked tranny fluid... seemed a lil low, but not below add mark. Added MOPAR 7176 fluid.. nothing same thing. Now, last week I added a lil Lucas stop leak, & slip reducer, as that was all they had... heard some good things about it.. read online other places it was safe for tranny.. as I know ONLY to use MOPAR fluid.. So.. tow truck came.. towed car into shop... Talked to mechanic, who things it's not good... I CANNOT AFFORD A NEW TRANNY!.. Filled out paperwork, went to get keys from ignition, tried it once more, started it.. put it in drive, went in gear fine.. car even moved when I released brake.. reverse & drive went fine.. after a few times. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ASAP! I DON'T KNOW WHAT CAN BE WRONG! I talked to towing guy who thinks tranny might be gone too, I thought possibly a sensor, but last time my sensor went tranny went into limp mode.. ANYONE PLEASE REPLY ASAP.. THANKS! :confused: :( :cry:
You wonder why my TREP is gone!!!:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
well how many miles did it make it? How many of those miles where you driving it agressively?

just curious.....

that really is too bad...i was in a eagle vision once that did the same thing. Did it a few times after word and stopped doing it. Maybe some path or solenoid or something was getting clogged up and worked its way out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the car with 70,000 miles, has 133,000 miles on it now.. & has been good to me... with once a sensor gone on it, it's not BEAT on.. but I do like to play around a bit in my 3.5L hehe sometimes.. but I don't continously floor it everyday... from what I read online it may be a selonoid gone on it, or filter clogged... I'm hoping that's all it is.. First thing I am gonna do is talk to my mechanic, & have him do a filter & fluid change.. to get that lucas **** out.. because it may be too thick like my mechanic said & may be clogging the filter.. :confused: Saying prayers tonight it's nothing major. Because I want to get this traded in @ end of year, & get a 1999+ ES or RT. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,551 Posts
You can buy a very used but running fine tranny from me for a few hundred bucks... Get it running to trade it in at least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Paul, when my tranny supposedly went out at 125K miles, it was kind of acting strangely. THis was immediately upon starting the car after changing the fluid/filter (I probably put the wrong kind of fluid in because it was before I found this site). Anyway, the car would hardly move (forward or reverse) but if I turned the car off and restarted it would be fine (until the next time I tried to start it). So to this day, I wonder if I could've held off on the $2000 repair for another year or two by simply resetting the PCM. The car would shift and drive excellent so that led me to believe it was more computer related. But I'll never know! Seems to me a tranny would give warning signs that it was dieing. However, computer related would possibly be more instantaneous. Try resetting the PCM after getting the tranny flushed. Let us know what happens!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Intrepidude said:
So to this day, I wonder if I could've held off on the $2000 repair for another year or two by simply resetting the PCM. The car would shift and drive excellent so that led me to believe it was more computer related. But I'll never know! Seems to me a tranny would give warning signs that it was dieing.
That's exactly what I'm saying... No warning.. shifted smooth as always, just yesterday this started... I'll keep you guys posted & I thank ya'll for your help.. & any more input is greatly appreciated, & maybe a small prayer would be good too :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
If the car currently moves drive it to a dealer and trade it in on a new/used car. This
Pulled to side of road, placed in neutral, & tried drive, heard all kinds of grinding, noise. Placed in reverse, same thing... Funny thing is... car's rpm's were raising & speedometer was going up too without my foot on gas EVERYTIME I placed in gear
does't sound like a sensor or computer problem to me.

I hear Honda is having a big sale on Civics :) (j/k)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
Seriously if it moves trade it in they might give you 1 or 2K for it which would be down payment material for something newer... my uncle traded in a car with an engine that a mechanic had told him was moments away from dying. Why would you want to get stuck throwing good money after bad into a car with so many miles?

You could buy your way up to a used ES with low mileage... they are not worth much believe me I know all about that :)
 

·
.
Joined
·
9,861 Posts
alderran said:
Seriously if it moves trade it in they might give you 1 or 2K for it which would be down payment material for something newer... my uncle traded in a car with an engine that a mechanic had told him was moments away from dying. Why would you want to get stuck throwing good money after bad into a car with so many miles?
Doesn't anyone have a conscience anymore?


Drop the pan, and get that fluid out there ASAP. The people who do it will probably tell you that they found contaminate and quote you for a rebuilt trans. Tell them to do thier job and go fill your trans with ATF 3/4+. Might want to get a flush done too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well.. got good news earlier today..stopped by & spoke with my mechanic, stood there while he brought car up on lift, said while he was messing with it... it was rolling in park... so... after it was above us.. he said it's the left driveaxle!!!!! Thank GOD! so it'll be ready tommorow morning, said I saved myself a few $1000's, it'll be more like a few $100's.. so.. needless to say I'm so excited... Told him while he was at it.. to change tranny fluid & filter... & he will use ATF 3 7176 Mopar... He has a dodge too.. so he said to me today.. he knows what it's like to have wrong fluid in it... So thanks to those who read & said a prayer for me.. it worked! :D :) :) :) :) :) :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,427 Posts
the axle huh? meaning the differential?

I suppose that could happen if the car ended up breaking a tooth off the ring gear.. sometimes you end up on the "dead spot" and the tranny just spins on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,177 Posts
I too had a transmission scare.
I was prepared for a complete rebuild when I was delightfully told the input speed sensor is registering zero rpm with the engine running. This defaults the transmission into 2nd gear.
I was thankful that it was only a sensor and also wondered how many transmission shop would be able to talk some unsuspecting customer into a complete rebuild.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Lafrad said:
the axle huh? meaning the differential?

I suppose that could happen if the car ended up breaking a tooth off the ring gear.. sometimes you end up on the "dead spot" and the tranny just spins on it.
He said the axle, its the part that has the inner cv joint and the outer cv joint. If the outer joint goes bad, the car might barely move and make a few weird noises as the axle spins in the cv joint cup.

He never said differential. If it was the diff, then the whole tranny would have to come out and it would be in the thousands again to fix.

To do a cv joint takes me about 45 minutes to an hour to do and the complete axle assy usually costs around 60 to 100 bux for a rebuilt one.

I had one go bad on my old caviler about 6 months ago and I thought that the tranny or my clutch went bad as well until I crawled underneath and discovered grease all over the place by the drivers outer cv boot and no boot on that side.

So no diff problems, he has axle problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Btw Paul, have them put ATF-4 into the car, not ATF-3, its not that ATF-3 is bad, its just that the -4 fluid is better and its compatible 100 percent. Its like an updated version of -3 so use the -4 fluid since it should be about the same price.

Good job on it not being the tranny..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank Bobo.. Appreciate it.. I thought about him putting ATF +4 in it.. but from what I hear.. from dealers, & Allpar.com.. +4 is for 2000 & up ultradrives.:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update.. all seems good.. *THANK GOD*.. Thanks to everyone who replied.. & to those who read & didn't.. well.. whatever.... Have a good one! :D
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top