DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure how else to describe it. The car was running fine for the most part. 1995 3.3 Dodge Intrepid, 150K miles (mostly highway). Was maintained very well by father in law before I got it.

Several months ago I noticed what seemed to be a little transmission slip. Just a little one. It didn't happen much and was minor so I just attributed it to the cars age/miles and went on. It seemed to be getting a little worse, occasionally "falling on its face" when I'd step on it. Once (and only once) it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. I pulled right over and shut it off, turned it back on and it seemed fine.

New plugs, oil, filters, etc and its on the road again. Literally 3 days ago it started idling rougher...but in neutral it would idle fine (for the most part). Whenever it driver, it feels as though its bucking or lurching a bit, more so going uphill than down. I checked the fluid and its not exactly ATF red but more of a dried bloodstain color. I'm planning on dropping the pan and changing the fluid (Dodge ATF+3) and the filter today in the tranny. I thought about using a transmission additive at the same time.

My question is, does anyone have any other thoughts or anything else I might try?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Perhaps it's way overdue for a transmission flush and transmission filter change. Not shifting out of first is what's known as "limp home mode" which should have been accompanied with a check engine light. Has your CEL come on? If so get the codes read.

The other possibility is wuth 150K miles, your transmission is ready for an overhaul. It's possibly the weakest part of your entire drivetrain...

Have you checked the level of fluid in the transmission??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It literally, and I do mean literally, only not shifted the one time and it immediatly corrected itself. The transmission was, in theory, rebuilt at 70K and I'm at 150K now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 1996 Intrepid 3.3L with 162k mile on it. at 101k i have trans failure and was rebuild by AAMCO. Luckily I opt for lifetime warranty for it. Because at 155k i have the same problem you're experiencing. It will get worse even with good fluid and no leak. my CEL never came on. and after 1st symptom without warning its just stuck on 1st amd will slip to neutral. I brought it back to AAMCO they look at it and told me I have torque conv failure. The manager told me that the rebuild torque has a bad design and that the new one has been redesign for better. Better get it check out ASAP before it ruins your gear too. :auto_08:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts