DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced O2 sensor and EGR valve this weekend and after putting away jack, jack stands, tools, etc. am moving car out of garage with the hood still up. I noticed the engine rocking backward and forward while shifting into reverse and back to drive. Freaked me out. After some thought I am assuming that the transmission mount is busted. Will get it back up on stands tomorrow but can there be any other reason the engine is pitching up and down? The motor mounts control side to side movement and have read if they are not leaking hydraulic fluid they are ok. Right?

1997 Intrepid 3.3 89,000 miles.

·
9,861 Posts
Yeah, sounds like the trans mount. It's just a rubber mount, so it doesn't last long. The motor mounts, on the other hand usually last the life of the car.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
My car was doing the same as you describe. I replaced the trans mount, it helped a little. I then noticed one of my motor mounts was all smushed. I replaced them both and now I don't feel or hear any clunking when shifting.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
i've broken 2 sets of motor mounts already and am about to get onto my 3rd set. Just don't get the cheapier ones spend the $$ for the better ones. The trans mount isn't too bad to change, motor mounts are lail harder to do but. Make sure if its a motor or tranyn mount

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Yes, avoid the cheaper mounts like Anchor brand, they are terrible! Dealer ones would be the best, but their not cheap! I have had good luck with Pioneer products mounts, they are pretty inexpensive and have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
anchor has a lifetime warranty at autozone

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
yeah but with those (which can be a PITA to replace) do u really wanna have to replace em aprox every 6 months?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my transaxle mount installed yesterday. Words can't describe how much fun that was but I can think of a few choice ones. A total of 5 bolts out and 5 bolts back in. Seems like it took about 5 hours from start to finish. Old mount actually didn't look too bad, no cracks or splits. For what it's worth the tranny does seem to shift smoother.

My question - the engine will still rock back and forth a bit as I move from Park to Drive/Reverse and back to Park. As I understand it the front mounts are hydraulic and there is no evident leakage and they control sideways movement. Is the rocking back and forth normal??? Could someone pop their hood and tell me if theirs does the same???

1997 Intrepid 3.3 85,000 miles

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
I just looked at mine I have a 95 3.3 with 202,000 and mine kinda rocks up and down in the front. but no side to side movement at all. All of my mounts have been changed almost a year ago. The only thing I noticed when I changed them was that it ran alot smoother, shifted smoother, and helped the get up.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
gofor300 said:
My question - the engine will still rock back and forth a bit as I move from Park to Drive/Reverse and back to Park. As I understand it the front mounts are hydraulic and there is no evident leakage and they control sideways movement. Is the rocking back and forth normal??? Could someone pop their hood and tell me if theirs does the same???

1997 Intrepid 3.3 85,000 miles

I read that on the service manual that they are hydraulic. I was thinking like you. ''They don't leaking so I don't need to change them.'' But in fact when I changed the 2 engine mounts on my car it was only in rubber no hydraulic oil inside. Really don't know why they call them hydraulic mount.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
This is from the Service Manual:

The engine hydro-type mounts contain a liquid that is encased in a solid rubber housing.

Engine hydro-mounts may show surface cracks. This will not effect performance and mount should not be replaced. Only replace the engine hydro-mounts when leaking fluid.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Mine wasn't leaking fluid when they were changed. When I got my tranny rebuilt they ****ed the rev. so when I put it in rev. it clunks real bad. I took it back to them and they tried to say it was the engine mounts so they changed them, and while it still clunked it did run a lot smoother for some reason. I tried to take it back again for the clunk but thay tried to say it was normal so I said **** it and when it goes again I will just change it out with a 2.7 tranny.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Strongt said:
This is from the Service Manual:

The engine hydro-type mounts contain a liquid that is encased in a solid rubber housing.

Engine hydro-mounts may show surface cracks. This will not effect performance and mount should not be replaced. Only replace the engine hydro-mounts when leaking fluid.
My driverside one was leaking. It was about 1" shorter than the pass. side one, and when I removed it, oil dripped out of it and down my sleeve and somehow on my face :all_cohol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Forgive me for the n00b reply, but can the mounts, whether they are for the transmission or the motor be changed/removed w/out dropping the engine/transmission?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You do not have to 'drop' either engine or transmission. What you do need to do is slightly raise front of engine (or back of tranny when changing that mount) with a jack after unbolting mounts. Perfectly doable, just a pain in the ass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts