DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is it... my first post. I'm so nervous. First off I would like to say go Chrysler! I love my Vision! It's a '97 TSi with ALL of the possible options and it drives like a dream... except for one small problem.

I just bought the car about a month ago and it seems to have a slight grinding noise coming from the transmission during low speeds and usually when going from Reverse into Drive. It doesn't effect the drivability of the car in any way but it is enough to bother me.

The dealer says that it is the solenoid and is nothing to worry about. I should just watch it and if it gets worse, replace it. The car is a low mileage car, only 60,000km (yup... I'm Canadian!) and it came with a 6 month warranty that covers this part. However, I have to pay a deductible and the dealer doesn't think it is worth it.

Any opinions??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Welcome to the site! I faintly hear the solenoid doing its thing if I'm at a complete stop and shift from P to R or R to D. Once I get moving though I don't hear any solenoid noises. Doesn't sound normal to me if you're still hearing it while moving, unless you have really good hearing. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the input guys! I did get another opinion the other day (another Chrysler dealership) and they said the same thing. Both of the mechanics said that after shifting from R to D it is not unusual for the solenoid to make a slight grinding noise within the first few feet of motion. It's a very slight noise... just enough to make me concerned.

Other than that one quirk, I love the car. I have yet to mod it in anyway but will more than likely will do so as the stock parts need replacement. I'm thinking exhaust will be the first to be done.... Gotta let her breathe.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
that is a common noise, and in most new Mopar FWD cars, it is SUPPOSED to be there. our cars use solinoids to shake a ball bearing, to control the flow of transmission fluid. this in turn, changes the clutches in the tranny to shift gears. since ball bearings can only seal if they close over a passage... you hear it rattling around and letting oil flow by.
It is when you stop hearing that noise that you have the problem.

(as an example of this... go sit near a busy stop light at a mall or something.. and every time a dodge/chrysler/plymoth Mini-van pulls up, listen for the Bzzzzzz-tic! sound.)

Here is a good link about the tranny(s):
http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html
almost near the bottom is a section called "Normal Noises"... it will help explain it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who needs a mechanic??

Wow! That's almost a word for word duplicate of the explanation that both of the mechanics gave me. This forum is incredible! Thanks to all for taking the time to make a post and offering your help.

:biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts