DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

transmission oil change question

3K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Dilemma 
#1 ·
i got a T-tec flush done on my transmission at jiffy lube,now i've regreted doing this because i should of used mopar atf 4 tranmission oil.I'm afriad that jiffy lube oil my not be good for my transmisson,so my question to you all is should i reflush my transmission with mopar transmission oil or just wait for the next schedual maintinace because the oil should be fine? I did pay $100 for this and would suck if i had to pay for it again.please help me

#3 ·
IMHO...You should take your car to the dealer ASAP; esp. if you don't know what transmission fluid they put in. DC tranny's are pretty particular what goes in them, and from what all I've read, this is one area where you want to make sure it is "squared" away.
Best of luck...HTH.

#5 ·
When should i get my transmission fluid changed?

#6 ·
Take it ot the dealer, especially if your near the end of your warranty period. If there happens to be a problem, it could be fixed and you could always get it back from Jiffy Lube, hopefully you'll have no problems. There was a thread a few months ago about horor stories from "Jiffy Lube" type places.:cry: :blush:

#7 ·
I've read some significant problems in Chrysler transmissions due to not using the proper ATF+3/+4 fluid. The mechanics like to say that "Dexron Mercon is the same thing, we use it in everything", but they're absolutely wrong. The Mercon and other fluids will cause the automatic transmission clutches/bands to shudder and other odd shifting behavior, and generally reduced transmission life.

Whenever I get the fluid changed I specify the ATF+3/+4, just like I specify which oil for them to put in the vehicle, and for them to use the larger V8-style oil filter instead of the typical 'shorty' filter. There's no harm in specifying these things, and if they won't accommodate you then the shop next door surely will.

-- Marcus
Merritt Island, Florida

#8 ·
should be okay

I am sure yours is not the only Chrysler product to roll into a Jiffy lube. I am sure they know what kind of transmission fluid goes in it. It's not like this is some one of a kind exotic sports car here. Pretty standard job. What makes you think they didn't use the right fluid?

I would have gone to a dealer myself only because I find that Jiffy lube charges more (at least for oil changes they do).

#9 ·
to answer your question,the reason why i took my car to jiffy lube was because this T-tec machine flushes out 100% of the old transmisson fluid then adds all new fluid back into the transmission ,as oppose to my local dodge dealer which only drops your tranmission pan ,drains only about 30% of the fluid then tops off your old fluid with new. i rather remove 100% of my old fluid then add 100% new trasmission fluid.this is why i choose jiffy lube instead of my local dodge dealer.

#10 ·
No, the Intrepid is not an exotic sports car, but like Toyota's, Honda's, and other brands, there are requirements about what goes into the transmission.

Anyone who tells you there are "universal" types of tranny fluid is feeding you a load of B.S.

#12 ·
The place I took my Avenger too was great. I knew I was in the right place when he told me it would be more because the mopar cars take special 7176 ATF+3 fluid. I wanted to hug the guy LOL.
I had gone to Jiffy lube and a few other local places and they tried to feed me the "universal brand" load.

If you are in the Chicago suburbs, the place is Northwest Oilers in Palatine off of Northwest Highway. The guys are awesome. They freaked out when they couldn't find my air filter to change it (AEM cold air at the time, went under the bumper) I can only imagine when I take it in for the next tranny flush and they see the turbo sitting there ahahaha

#15 ·
When I worked at Jiffy Lube in Mankato, Minnesota we had special Mopar ATF fluid that we would use. No one ever came back to us and complained of any trouble. We would never replace the fluid and filter if the car had gone more than 70K without a tranny fluid change.

#16 ·
fluid change

I'm gonna be having my fluid and filter changed on my '93 Vision Tsi at an AAMCO by my house. I figured this would be the best route to go, since I've had bad experience with MOPAR transmissions and since I just bought the car I don't know what kind of care the previous woman took of the car. The reason I"m going with AAMCO is that I heard they guarantte a fluid/filter change from any leaks for somewhere between 30 and 90 days I'm not sure. But if they have to change the filter that involves dropping the pan and this means a new gasket right? Which is what usually causes leaks when fluid is added/changed so this should be a safe bet for a transmission with 103K on it right?

#17 ·
Re: fluid change

newyorker1985 said:
But if they have to change the filter that involves dropping the pan and this means a new gasket right? Which is what usually causes leaks when fluid is added/changed.
Yes... You are correct... technically when anyone changes the tranny filter, you are supposed to add a new o-ring (gasket) to prevent leaks, and provide a nice snug fit.

#18 ·
Just had my transmisson fluid changed the other day. When I called to make the appointment they assured me they would use ATF +4 fluid. When I got the car home after the change, I noticed
that the repair order showed they used Dexron III fluid. I called the guy back and asked him what the deal was and he said some additives were added to make it like ATF+4. Did I just get screwed?

#19 ·
my vote is with BK, Ijust bought mine and SATURN(A dealership i bought it from) way overfilled it and with what, who knows?!?
for me, the 100$ is worth the peace of mind, especially from what i have read about the Trep Tranny.....they kick A!# but can be tempermental(that is just my impression)

#20 ·
champ98 said:
Just had my transmisson fluid changed the other day. When I called to make the appointment they assured me they would use ATF +4 fluid. When I got the car home after the change, I noticed
that the repair order showed they used Dexron III fluid. I called the guy back and asked him what the deal was and he said some additives were added to make it like ATF+4. Did I just get screwed?
I'd call up your local DC dealer and find out. If the dealer claims the fluid isn't right, get it in writing and show it to the shop. If you have a statement from a dealer saying they're wrong, it's the shop's mistake and you can make them correct the damage and refill it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.