DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, is there a tranny cooler on the radiator of the 2001 R/T? There seems to be a leak on the drivers side at the bottom of the rad. where a U-shaped hose(about 5" long) that goes into the rad. at both ends. All the coolant rad. hoses above this spot are dry and dusty. The one end of the U-hose is tightened on with a gear clamp and the other end with a threaded fitting I believe but not sure. The fluid that is all over the frame seems to be tranny oil. Could this be the leak and is it a big job to repair since it is hard to get at?
Thanks for any help.

JMC

·
Registered
430 Posts
JMC, there should be a separate trans cooler in front of the radiator. All 01 R/Ts have the trans cooler. I can't offer any help on repairs. I've never had to work on mine. good luck.

-Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brought the car into the local Chrysler dealer and the service manager seem to know the problem that I was explaining to him. Sounds like a common problem for intrepid. It is my mother-in-laws car so I haven't seen the bill. She said it took about an hour and it cost $70.00 Can. parts($10.00) and labour. The service manager said they would have to drop the air dam and moulding under the radiator to get access to the leak.

JMC

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
JMC said:
Brought the car into the local Chrysler dealer and the service manager seem to know the problem that I was explaining to him. Sounds like a common problem for intrepid. It is my mother-in-laws car so I haven't seen the bill. She said it took about an hour and it cost $70.00 Can. parts($10.00) and labour. The service manager said they would have to drop the air dam and moulding under the radiator to get access to the leak.

JMC
Sounds about right. These tranny cooler lines can sometimes get nicked an spring a leak, they can be a pain to replace.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mine leaked once, had to take the headlight out to get to them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My 02 had the same problem. It is actually mulitple problems. When the car is fairly new, the problem is the hose clamps loosen up. Removing the air dam and moulding is the only way to get to it. Once they get a little older, the problem is leaking transmission hoses( removing the air dam and moulding again). Replacing both the hoses from the transmission solves this problem. Cost is cheap (around $50) and not to hard to do yourself (but messy) but probably a couple hundred at the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got a chance to see the bill. The $10 was for the S/S hoseclamp. Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts