DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 of the transmission pan bolts decided to go left loosey as I was torquing them to 17 ft lbs. Don't know what to do at this point. Guess imma have to take it to a shop and have them take over. I don't know what went wrong 馃様

Registered
5 of the transmission pan bolts decided to go left loosey as I was torquing them to 17 ft lbs. Don't know what to do at this point. Guess imma have to take it to a shop and have them take over. I don't know what went wrong 馃様
I think ony of my bolts is doing the same on mine. Sorry to hear you have more though. Ig if you don't want to spend the money to fix it properly, you could just drive it for a while and closely monitor the trans and if it seems to leak, find the leak and put a bunch of gasket sealer on it. idk what else to do after that besides redoing the threads on the block and getting new bolts.

Premium Member
Wow! Is your torque wrench defective? Others here may have more specific advice, but I'd say you're looking at drilling and tapping to next size up, or Helicoils.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wow! Is your torque wrench defective? Others here may have more specific advice, but I'd say you're looking at drilling and tapping to next size up, or Helicoils.
I was using a snap on torque wrench. Im doubtful it's the wrench. The thing is the bolt gave before I can even get a torque reading. I started them all by hand with a socket and extension. I noticed when I was screwing them in there was a scraping noise. When I pulled out the ones that weren't torquing pieces of the threads were falling out. I eventually just got a pick and scraped out the bits of metal from the holes and I was able to hand tighten the bolts with a ratchet. Refilled the trans, no leakage but I'm concerned it's gonna leak once I start it and the tranny starts moving the fluid.

Is this something I can repair myself or will I have to take it to a shop

Also i did use the high speed milwaukee ratchet to remove the bolts. Do you think that's where I screwed up (hehe)

Premium Member
Aluminum threads are not known for being robust. The engine oil pan drain plug hole threads are known for stripping out in our cars - more frequently than the tranny pan bolt holes because of course the oil drain plug gets messed with way more often

Things that I know about that can damage aluminum threads:
1. Over-torqueing - they seldom strip the first time they get over-torqued unless grossly over-torqued. Typically the damage is cumulative until they finally pull out (unfortunately, the last person to touch them get unfairly blamed).
2. Loosening or tightening fasteners in aluminum threads when the aluminum is very warm or hot is particularly damaging. When spark plug hole threads in aluminum heads strip out, it's often because the plugs were loosened and removed when the engine was still warm or hot.

Perhaps someone had R&R'ed your tranny pan in the past and caused thread damage by over-torqueing or removing when things were hot. Or perhaps the threads degraded from normal heat and aging without bring abused.

Is it possible that someone used thread locker on them in the past that damaged the threads when the bolts were torqued to break loose on subsequent removal? Probably not, but just throwing that out there as another possibility or contributing factor.m

Using a high-speed ratchet to remove the bolts may have been a factor, especially if things were warm or hot.

If you have experience drilling and tapping, you could DIY for the next larger size bolts. There's always risk of messing them up beyond repair if not done right, and, again, aluminum may be a little more risky than steel. If you're nervous about doing it, might be worth paying a shop that you trust.

Oh - it's possible that the holes are a lot deeper than the length of the bolts, in which case you could go with the same size but longer bolts. The threads may already be deep enough without having to tap them any further - that would be the best of everything.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did notice the bolts felt a little too tight I had to smack my ratchet to break it. I was surprised that they were that tight for some transmission pan bolts

So I did remove them while it was still hot unfortunately. I had to go get a funnel for the transmission fluid at the parts store and I would say probably about an hour later I went ahead and started with the job. I remember the transmission pan being hot and was thinking about waiting til it got cold but that would've taken forever. I wish I knew that info about hot aluminum and threads.

I dont think the transmission was ever serviced since factory. I got it at 58 k miles and think they didn't get the transmission service at the 30k recommended interval. It had the sealant that made it very hard to remove the pan. Struggled with it for a while.

I think spinning the bolts off quickly could've been the culprit and that sucks honestly.

I might try the helicoils. I saw a video where it's very simple even a kid did it lol

I'm going to keep an eye on it for now but eventually want to repair it the proper way. If it's diy or a shop I'll have to see if I have the will power. Stuff like this makes me think I should just leave it to the pros...

Woober Goobers!
X2 on Helicoils

Premium Member
One other thing I forgot to mention about aluminum (but it is "age" related, which I did mention): Because of difference in electrical potential (galvanic, or anodic, index) of steel and aluminum, over time, due to moisture, you get dissimilar metal corrosion of the aluminum (the more negative metal corrodes, the other does not). The exact alloys and coatings affect the rate of the corrosion, and if the moisture is from salt water environment, the corrosion is greatly accelerated. Ironically, stainless steel is more reactive with aluminum than non-stainless alloys. Cast aluminum is more reactive with higher carbon steel alloys than is wrought aluminum.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One other thing I forgot to mention about aluminum (but it is "age" related, which I did mention): Because of difference in electrical potential (galvanic, or anodic, index) of steel and aluminum, over time, due to moisture, you get dissimilar metal corrosion of the aluminum (the more negative metal corrodes, the other does not). The exact alloys and coatings affect the rate of the corrosion, and if the moisture is from salt water environment, the corrosion is greatly accelerated. Ironically, stainless steel is more reactive with aluminum than non-stainless alloys. Cast aluminum is more reactive with higher carbon steel alloys than is wrought aluminum.
I'm pretty sure if took it to a shop it woulda been the same outcome. It being a 20+ year old car and the transmission never being serviced I shoulda known something was gonna happen. Hey no leaks so far lol so I guess I've been lucky. I just hope it holds up the 30k miles until the next fluid change. Ill be sure to prepare and probably drill out the holes and tap some Helicoils in.

BTW this is what I found on the magnet when I dropped the pan. Is it bad or is it expected at 75k miles. Looks funny though haha
Liquid Hood Automotive lighting Arthropod Glass

Registered
I'm pretty sure if took it to a shop it woulda been the same outcome. It being a 20+ year old car and the transmission never being serviced I shoulda known something was gonna happen. Hey no leaks so far lol so I guess I've been lucky. I just hope it holds up the 30k miles until the next fluid change. Ill be sure to prepare and probably drill out the holes and tap some Helicoils in.

BTW this is what I found on the magnet when I dropped the pan. Is it bad or is it expected at 75k miles. Looks funny though haha
View attachment 42810
Dang! That's actually similar to how my magnet looked when I took it out. Good thing you're changing the fluid and filter!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts