DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am new to the site. I have a 99 Intrepid with about 77k miles. I have heard( from mechanics) that that is about the most you can expect from the tranny before problems occur. What has been your experience with Intrepid tranny problems? I understand that any PM willl just accelerate the problem.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think the usage (city vs hwy) and maintence is key to the expected life. PM will PREVENT problems, not cause them. I believe that lack of proper maintence for years ( proper = keeping the fluid and filter changed every 15-30k), then trying too little too late (not complete flush) maintence could lead to problems, due to the new "clean" fluid causing the old "burned" fluid to form clumps and cause the unit to fail. If your transmission is still functioning ok, a complete flush, along with new filter, should extend the life before an overhall is required. If your unit is slam shifting, or failing, then a repair is needed now.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
There is NO way you should be having problems with a 2G transmission at 77k......if you ARE having problems, it's probably a transmission sensor ($20).

I think your mechanic hears "Intrepid" and automatically thinks 93-97.......which DO have some transmission problems. Mostly addressed with the 98 model year.

What I WOULD be concerned with is if you have a 2.7L engine ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am having no problems what so ever with my tranny. I just was trying to get some feedback on if or better not, get the tranny serviced ( filter and fluid). I have heard arguments for and against. I still don't know which way to go. I read the other article on pros and cons of changing the fluid. I am confused.
Bill

·
Registered
962 Posts
Avenger said:
What I WOULD be concerned with is if you have a 2.7L engine ;)
Wait, didn't you get your ass beat by a GIRL with a 2.7, or am I thinking about someone else? ;)

Anyways, PM is always good. And you shouldn't be having major problems at only 77k miles unless you beat that thing like a readheaded stepchild.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Hartski said:
Wait, didn't you get your ass beat by a GIRL with a 2.7, or am I thinking about someone else? ;)

Anyways, PM is always good. And you shouldn't be having major problems at only 77k miles unless you beat that thing like a readheaded stepchild.
2.7s like to jump off the top of a building and skyfall at around 90K be carfull with that engine. If anything have shop rebuild it before it takes the plunge :banana:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The Tranny In My 94 Intrepid Lasted 140k
The Tranny In My 94 Lhs Lasted Till 150k
The First Transmission In My Durango Lasted 67k
Hard To Tell When They'll Go

1 - 9 of 9 Posts