DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard of tranmission problems with intrep, being my only big concern cause most of the others I can fix alright, with the tranny though some people have transmission coolers, im totally new at this but is their anything to keep these stories from happening, diff. fluids, or something cause I want mine to last, and perfrom, any comments

·
Registered
638 Posts
Have you had your tranny serviced recently? Get it flushed; pan drop and filter changed, and filled with GENUINE MOPAR ATF+4. To my knowledge a dealership is the only place you can get it. If you have a first generation Intrepid you can use ATF+3 but I think the consensus is that ATF+4 is better. Under no circumstances should you use anything other than these two fluids in the tranny.

As for the tranny cooler most of the people here would tell you to get one. Heat is enemy #1 for these trannys so a cooler should definitely help. I'll be getting one soon as well.

If you need more info try doing a search on transmissions. You'll get A LOT of results but you should find everything you need to know to keep your tranny running well. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
The only way I have my tranny done is at shop that pumps new fluid in and forces the old stuff out.This makes sure ALL the the fluid (cooler,tranny and lines) is new not just what is in the tranny.I do it every 25K as the manual says.Every second one I have the filter done and my dealer says thats fine.:biggrin:

·
9,861 Posts
Just keep a clean filter and clean ATF 4 in. ATF 4 is best for either gen.
opiate said:
does anyone have any recommendations for 2g tranny coolers?
Late model 1st gens, and 2nd gens already have an aux cooler. But you can replace it with an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
yes any one got a cooler for a 2nd gen tranny since i live in a damn small town and start n stop n awsome number of gear changes is what makes my concern ..i saw one at advanced autoparts for 49$ and i got a 2.7L 2nd gen with 68K miles :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts