DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 Intrepid has 118,000 on it. Everyone I know that's owned one has had to replace the transmission at rediculously low miles and multiple times. I've owned this thing since 60,000 and I was wondering if I should be worried.

Also, my uncle saw what looked like a small radiator attached to my normal one. He said that was Chrysler's fix and that my tranny was most likely replaced before I bought it. Can someone confirm this?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
keeping the tranny cooler does make it last longer....i'm still on the origional tranny at 117 thousand miles.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I was beginning to worry a bit too. I have been taking care of the tranny fluid religiously and I think I am in OK shape. I have 131,500 on my '97 right now. I know several members here had their Treps up to 150-160K without tranny incident. I would just keep changing the fluid and filter every 15 or 20K. That is what I have been doing.

I am crossing my fingers, it doesn't help but it can't hurt.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I got to almost 140,000 before replacement.

·
9,861 Posts
96silverIntrepid3.5 said:
Also, my uncle saw what looked like a small radiator attached to my normal one. He said that was Chrysler's fix and that my tranny was most likely replaced before I bought it. Can someone confirm this?
Not true. The later model 1st gens had an external cooler stock.

My car doesn't have it. But I will be changing that this spring...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine went 165,000 before it quit - very suddenly and completely, I might add. I did nothing to it except one fluid (&filter?) change at 100,000.

I'm a lead-foot, but I live in a mild climate, so maybe that helped to give it a long life.

I didn't rebuild the old one. I had a reman dropped in with a 3 yr warrnty. It's not as crisp shifting as the first one, particularly on downshifts. For instance, the original would drop instantly from 4th to 1st. The new one hesitates in second before dropping down to first. But if it lasts another 100k I'll be happy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JoeRosslaw said:
Mine went 165,000 before it quit - very suddenly and completely, I might add. I did nothing to it except one fluid (&filter?) change at 100,000.

I'm a lead-foot, but I live in a mild climate, so maybe that helped to give it a long life.

I didn't rebuild the old one. I had a reman dropped in with a 3 yr warrnty. It's not as crisp shifting as the first one, particularly on downshifts. For instance, the original would drop instantly from 4th to 1st. The new one hesitates in second before dropping down to first. But if it lasts another 100k I'll be happy.
Did you use Dexron fluid? Chrysler 4-speed transmissions must ONLY use Mopar ATF +3 or +4 (+4 is recommended for 2000+ model years). If your manual tells you otherwise, if the service department at the dealership tells you otherwise, they are wrong. Unfortunately, many shops well tell you that Dexron is the same as ATF, and it's not, there is a BIG difference. The properties of Dexron cause the transmission to lock up and confuse the computer. Many times, people have thought that their transmission was bad when really a simple fluid change could have fixed it.
A lot of the problem is that many service departments simply don't know this. If they refuse to use Mopar, refuse them your buisness, period.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yes, make sure you use only +4. It's a semi synthetic from what I've read. That's what they put in mine with the new tranny at 75k on the clock.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jakeoooooo said:
Yes, make sure you use only +4. It's a semi synthetic from what I've read. That's what they put in mine with the new tranny at 75k on the clock.
+4 is recommended for 2000 and after model years. Since mine is a '96 I can use +3 or +4

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yes, but +4 is a much better product from what I've read.

·
Registered
910 Posts
jakeoooooo said:
Yes, but +4 is a much better product from what I've read.
I agree these are the same trannys as the 2 gen and with the added anti foam properties in the +4, you can't go wrong. I'm also a big believer in adding an additional trans cooler, not hard to do but pays off.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I recommend using Mopar ATF +4 and also putting in 2 bottles of Anti-foam. The +4 has some anti-foam in it as well and is overall a lot better than the +3 in my opinion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
up4speed said:
How much did the whole job cost?
My 95 lasted 108,000 then one day while driving about 70MPH slammed itself into second gear. It about put me through the windshield.

I got the 3yr warranted reman from the dealer and had it put in elsewhere. Total bill was $1,800.00 (1485.00 for the tranny)

There was also almost a 300.00 core charge on the old tranny. I got that money back from the dealer when the installer returned the old one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
JoeRosslaw said:

I learned something new when I had my reman put in. At first it didn't shift right and was sluggish.

I found out that the installer didn't reset the transmission computer. It had 'learned' the old tranny's shift patterns and was still using that information to shift the new transmission.

I took it back and in 10 minutes of hooking the diagnostic tool to the car, he set it to re-learn how to shift and I haven't had a problem since. I know that he didn't touch anything else because I watched him do it.

·
9,861 Posts
Makes our tranys shift smoother. You can get it at the parts counter. If you search the forum enough, you can find the part number for it.

I called the parts desk ahead of time, with the part number, so they had it ready when I got there. The parts guy had never even heard of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts