DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the motorsports transmission is starting to slip. pesky radiator leak got to it.

So in about a month I'll be doing my first transmission only swap. (Engines still pretty solid I'd like to think). Using the search feature did not help me much. So while I'm digging the transmission out of the car, are there any good tips for it? Any how-to's I can be pointed towards. I have a million questions. Just would like to get put in the right direction with this.

Thank you

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,938 Posts
Lets start with the million questions. Ask away.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
For me, making sure the torque converter was seated fully was the biggest deal. Want to say has to be three clicks to be fully seated.

If you think not removing something will save you work and can be worked around, just remove it.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Exhaust removed is a great way to get extra leveraging room.

Rubber plugs/caps for the cooler lines and ports will make a LOT less mess.

The flex plate has a T/C bolt hole that is shaped differently than the other three. Put this one in first when re-installing.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mostly my concern is how much clearance I need to remove the transmission from underneath. For sake of keeping fluids intact I don't really desire to remove the engine and transmission together which may seem like the worse option but. at the same time I believe i have the clearance. I was also wondering as this transmission is reman'd, should I still pop the pan off and double check things?

Thanks guys. Big undertaking

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Mostly my concern is how much clearance I need to remove the transmission from underneath. For sake of keeping fluids intact I don't really desire to remove the engine and transmission together which may seem like the worse option but. at the same time I believe i have the clearance. I was also wondering as this transmission is reman'd, should I still pop the pan off and double check things?

Thanks guys. Big undertaking
On jackstands, it's going to be fun specially if the exhuast is all one piece. Will have to remove it all.

Far as height bare min, Get a transmission jack, put the trans on it. Measure it's height. Add two inches and there ya go for ease of installing.

I would not pull the pan. If they did it right and gave you a warranty then there is nothing your going to see in there.

I doubt it will help, but here is a photo of when I did my Trans YEARS ago. Jesus been awhile.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
That there looks like a first gen. I noticed the braces around the sub-frame for the control arms.

Gawwd, I hated that recall!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
One other tip for the removal...

Pulling the wiper tray out on the topside will give you better leverage against the two upper-most bell housing bolts. Trying to get those out from below can be a challenge without long extensions and very sturdy 1/2" drive swivel socket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts