DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking worst case scenario I will have to replace my Transmission. What should I be looking to pay for labor for a job like that?

I have located several transmission anywhere from $200 - $850 but do not have a clue about how much labor will be or if it is something a couple of friends and I could do.

I have talked to a few local shops and everyone is talking $1500 - $2000 for rebuilding transmission.

So should I rebuild or replace?

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Doh! I had heard you were having trouble of some sort. But I thought it was a loose wire that put you in limp wristed mode?

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
ill bet when the cooler line poped off it cooked it,, anyway unless you know its a low mileage used trans id go rebuild, why chance a used unit?,, also for grins and giggles call chrysler and see how much one of there rebuilt units go for, they come with a 3 yr 75k warrinty

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I just read the service manual and as you would think, it looks to be a hassle to pull the tranny out. You can do it, but its not unbolt 2 mounts and drop it out. U gotta pry out CV axles, disconnect some suspension arms, unhook this, unplug that. The only reason I would do it myself is if I had help, some free time and was low on money. If you could get over here to Dave's "shop" we could divy up the work. Have one guy work up top and 2 dissembling on the bottom. I would supervise from the sidelines of course.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
DrDodge said:
For grins and giggles call chrysler and see how much one of there rebuilt units go for, they come with a 3 yr 75k warrinty
If you are considering a Mopar new or rebuilt, call Moparsupercenter. They may provide the best price. But then how to get it to you? If you did the "Dave" thing we could just pick it up. But if you a limping, a trip here doesn't make sense

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
02R/T said:
O00ooo, I know that slipping tranny feeling very well, unfortunately :p
Both times it was clutches and lines that were at fault. Smelled horrible of tranny oil too :barf:

Think this may be the issue with mine as the car is fine until it has been driven a while at operating temp, then starts to slip out of gear.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
If you get it rebuilt - have them use Raybestos Powertrain Kevlar high energy clutches. p/n RCP96009. That info's going in the DIY powerdemon thread

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
keith, Gr8crash and i replaced mine, that was a complete ***** to do. If i had to do it again, i would pay to have it done.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Aaron had blown his car up, but he had just replaced his trans, so i bought it from him and we installed it over a very long weekend..

sat from 8P til 3a
sunday from 2p til 3a
monday he worked on it alone, we finished around 11pm

if you do decide to do it yourself, there are a few tricks i will PM you that may make it easier.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found a 03 R/T at the local yard that someone was taking the 3.5 (20 minutes to late) out of and the yard (CMC Pull It) stated I could get the tranny for $100 or could get one from one of the other Treps for the same price. R/T had been flipped in case you are wondering why it was in the yard, roof crushed (although I am sure TFC could have rebuilt it)

My issues:

1. Do not know how to remove.
2. Do not know how to reinstall.
3. Do not know what I should be looking for?
4. Why was I 20 minutes late for that 3.5 ($600)

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Wow, you should try to buy that car being that it's the only 03 R/T in existence!! :grinno:

Don't worry about missing that 3.5, that only means that you and the 2.7 are meant to be.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
04IntrepidSXT said:
If you could get over here to Dave's "shop" we could divy up the work. Have one guy work up top and 2 dissembling on the bottom. I would supervise from the sidelines of course.
HaHa what shop? All I have is a driveway and a tool box. Keith I think you will have get a tranny out of a 2.7 cause of the final drive gears are lower in the 2.7 tranny than the other engines.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Ryda's transmission. I'd take it to the dealer or a good transmission shop and have them scan the transmission. They can read the CVI's and any other data the transmission has to say. Also, a fluid change using ONLY ATF+4 would help.

In the worst case scenario you need a transmission, get a quality Mopar remain transmission, or a Jasper. I've heard many unhappy rebuild results with the 42LE transmission. Seems like almost everyone rebuilt never worked right afterwards. You could also put in a junkyard unit, but make sure it's a 2.7 transmission. Pull-a-part in Norcross has two 2nd gen SE's with transmissions. For $45 bucks you could get one. I've had nothing but bad luck with junkyard transmissions. My 90 Acclaim ate through two of them and my old 85 Cutlass Supreme went through three tranmissions in one week. I ended up getting one that had been sitting in a barn for 10 years that worked great.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the input guys.

00r/t.mopar.muscle - LMAO that is what the guy stated the year was

95Trep3.3 - I thought the trannies were the same (thanks for the input)

Phil - I am going to have to try and locate that to see if it helps

Matt86 - I hear what you are saying but the yard transmission may be the quick fix while I get the original rebuilt with the good stuff.

I am going to have to get something done or at least started this week so that I can get the car and have it ready for the ATL meet.

I will keep everyone updated. BTW who wants to come help me? LOL

1 - 20 of 68 Posts