DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my spare transmission put in now my car is louder than a mofo! The guy at the transmission shop says my exhaust is rusted, BAD. Thats a bunch of BS!!!!!!! I'm not a master mechanic, but I know a little about cars. To me it looks like someone torched or wrenched my sh!#, probably trying to take it loose. But before I go give this guy the business, I need you guys to tell me if this looks like rust damage, or does it look like the work of a reckless mechanic. It does have some rust but its a 13yr old car and I live in Michigan, and no other part of my exhaust system looks like this... Well you tell me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm no expert but it looks to me like it had wrench marks at one point and they rusted through at the weak spots. If the mechs had messed with it while changing out your tranny, I would think there would be fresh tool marks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, that makes sense, so now any ideas on how to repair it, I read about the soup can fix for a temporary patch, but I want to repair it once and for all, I just don't know where to start...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Maybe you can try some aluminum hi-temp tape and wrap that sucker up???

That stuff sucks, maybe for a very short period of time but nothing close to perm.

Depending on your exaust size 2.25/2.50 see if you can find an adapter
2.25/50 ID to 2.25/50 OD to replace that small section. If the adapter itself isnt long enough make the OD side ID and get a small section of pipe and a couple clamps.

It shouldnt cost more then 50 bucks at a shop to have done and I personally hate clamps. I dont care if there was one there before if its taken off its replaced by a weld.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I' m confused am I getting 2.25 i.d x 2.25 o.d, 2.50 i.d x 2.50 o.d or do you mean 2.25 i.d x 2.50 o.d, or 2.50 i.d. x 2.25 o.d.?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts